• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

arabic texts issue - mixing English and Arabic words and deleting characters

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a problem with arabic text whenever i press backspace it deletes everything in the text file instead of deleting 1 letter, i tried pressing backspace once too in english and it only deleted 1 letter so i assume i only have this issue when i type in arabic because if i mistyped something i get to delete the whole thing instead

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asvure25936784n2lk,

Sorry to hear about this. Which version of Premiere Pro are you using? Also, is this happening in any specific project or all of them? 

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't replicate the issue on my Premiere Pro v.22.6 on Mac. When I type Arabic, I'm able to delete a single character by pressing the backspace button.

Can you explain more and let us know which version of Premiere Pro and OS you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this happens to me as well, whenever I delete in Arabic, it deletes the entire text, but in English its fine.

It happens in every project, and this issue happened to me after I updated the app to the latest version 23.1 (or maybe it was from 23.0 but I waited for an update but it didn't fix it, so here I am)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Husam,

Thanks for reporting what you tried.

I cannot replicate it. I added some Arabic text, added an Arabic keyboard, tried selecting all text (deletes it) and selecting none (does not delete it), and tried setting the "Right to Left Typing" and "Left to Right." Have you tried any of those settings?

I'm Win 10; PR 23.1.0.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known bug, I reported that to the Premiere Pro team a while ago, I recorded a video showing several bugs related to Arabic, and this is one of them. If you make your type direction from right to left, you can avoid it, BUT if you are typing an English text besides Arabic and press backspace to correct something, it will delete all your English text.

So, mixing Arabic and English is buggy.

Notice that the same happens with LTR text, if you try to mix Arabic and English, whenever you type Arabic and press backspace, all the Arabic text on the same line will be deleted.

Summing up, choose RTL for text direction and you will be okay with typing Arabic, but when typing a mixed text with English, then the English text will be the buggy one.
Final note: I'm on windows 10, I don't know if it's the same on Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ali,

Thanks for that. I was working only with pasting, and could not replicate it. Typing with the Arabic keyboard, sometimes it deletes all (with nothing selected) and other times not. RTL may have helped, but sometimes only Arabic and sometimes RTL also deleted incorrectly.

In any event, there's definitely a bug and being too specific is beyond my skills!

I hope they get this fixed; it would make typing in Arabic VERY difficult.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ali Jaber kindly place the link to the bug report so we can vote on it. And perhaps reach out to "Maha" of Adobe so she can also get in touch with the concerned team… thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening with me but still no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution, it is a bug as @ali Jaber  mentioned above 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Zaid Al Hilali , sadly, I didn't send a bug report, but the detailed video I mentioned was made specifically for Maha, and she reached out the Premiere Pro team to find solutions for the bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose RTL direction, you will have no problem typing Arabic without that error. Have you enabled that option?

RTL.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to understand parts of this. Thank you @Ali Jaber for your continuing correction on the nature of this bug. And I believe you are correct: "If you choose RTL direction, you will have no problem typing Arabic without that error."

And thank you @Zaid Al Hilali; I found one of your old posts when the earlier mogrts were not behaving with Arabic typing.

I see no bug report in UserVoice (soon to be migrated) nor in the new "Bugs" subforum here. I have tested in 23.1.0 and Beta 23.2.0.44, and am convinced there is a bug.

After further testing, I now believe that a version of this problem can occur with all English text. Mixing English and Arabic is where the problem is discovered, because the user is more likely to change LTR/RTL and get the problem.

My current theory:
For LTR text, if it is changed to RTL, the Backspace key deletes all letters on a line.
For RTL text, if it is changed to LTR, the Backspace key deletes all letters on a line.
The LTR/RTL setting applies to an entire EGP layer.
So mixing LTR/RTL text in one layer will be more likely to show the problem.
Keeping LTR/RTL text on separate layers will reduce the risk of problems.

Demonstrating the problem using all English typing:
Use the Text tool, and click in the Program Monitor.
The default for me is LTR.
Type any random keys.
Click the RTL icon.
Hit the Backspace key.
All letters typed are deleted.
A multiline entry shows that the Backspace deletes all letters on a line.

I considered whether "LTR text" and "RTL text" is determined by what is selected when it is entered. But it appears to be a characteristic of the language. So whether English is entered with LTR or RTL selected, selecting RTL before hitting backspace deletes all letters.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stan, that's exactly what I said, mixing Arabic and English is problematic depending on text direction, thanks for summing up the bug in very organized way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have some time, I'll make a detailed video on YouTube, explaining this bug, besides other bugs related to Arabic, and I'll be suggesting some workarounds if applicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'll make a detailed video on YouTube

Great idea. Some of the posts I saw were from the "before the universal text engine" which changed some of this. And it would help to focus attention on Arabic language issues. A lot has been happening in text/graphics/subtitles, and the engineers are actively working on many elements. But there are VERY few bug reports/feature requests for Arabic.

My, admittedly uninformed, take has become that Arabic fonts pose challenges that are not to be underestimated.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'll make a detailed video on YouTube

Great idea. Some of the posts I saw were from the "before the universal text engine" which changed some of this. And it would help to focus attention on Arabic language issues. A lot has been happening in text/graphics/subtitles, and the engineers are actively working on many elements. But there are VERY few bug reports/feature requests for Arabic.

My, admittedly uninformed, take has become that Arabic fonts pose challenges that are not to be underestimated.

Stan

By @Stan Jones

Can't they just release a fix update for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't they just release a fix update for this?

A Premiere Pro user (I'm not, unfortunately) needs to inform the Adobe Premiere team by log in a bug report stating full details. Now, Ali Jaber contacted an Adobe employee directly and he reported the issue in writing. Yet, I also prefer that one of you log the bug report so other users can vote on it to attract Premiere Pro development attention to the issue and eventually fix it because of high demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ali Jaber, are you still encountering this issue? I'm discussing this with the Ppro team. Is the video you sent to the Pre pro team the same one you sent me?

Thanks

Maha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Maha254939694rvm , just tested the latest version (23.2), yes, we still have same issues: mixing languages is problematic, paragraph justification breaks text, and there is always an empty space at the end of Arabic text (or any RTL text), which makes text alignment a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response @AlI I just shared your feedback with the Ppro team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Bugs forum.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes