• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG: Use Previews....Doesn't Use Previews.

Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workflow has been broken for a long time and I would really love to fix this one. I know this used to be on uservoice but I can't find the old bug. 

Steps:

1. Set sequence preview file to "Apple ProRes 422HQ" or whatever your favorite is. 

2. Render Sequence to full green.

3. Go to Export, Select an H.264 preset, check "use previews"

4. Watch as PrPro doesn't acess a single preview on disk and instead renders the whole timeline from scratch. 

From my current example I have a .png sequence from blender than I've rendered to green in the timeline.

Export->H.264, use previews checked...

Look at windows resource monitor, why is premiere chewing up PNGs when it should just be referencing the preview files I JUST RENDERED. 

scrozier_0-1679002471428.png

.aecache files being acessed for no reason. 

scrozier_1-1679002505250.png

.png sequence being read. WHY. 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Export , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
87 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone from Adobe dev team care to respond? @Francis-Crossman @Fergus H . This is a big gap in functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I just went back and opened an old project in Premiere 2022. It was rendered in the timeline using ProRes and exported to H.264 and I clicked "use previews" and it used the previews during the export the way it's supposed to.

Sure would be great if the 2024 version of the program worked like that. How can you break a feature and call it an upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't trust media encoder (many, many failures over the years, been burned too many times to use it with any sort of confidence) but I may have to lean into it more as its nearly a 5x speedup because it actually respects the use previews switch most of the time!

14 min timeline.... Exported in 1min 49 seconds. 

Output from Rendered(all green) ProRes422LT Timeline to H.264 ~1:49 through media encoder with "use native" unchecked. 

scrozier_1-1706806630087.png

Output from Premiere, same exact settings. Esentially hit "export" instead of "queue" in the export dialog. 

... 6:45. 

scrozier_2-1706807152478.png

This is a less severe example since its just 1 layer of color and 3.2k ProResLT media and minimal dynamic links. On other jobs this could be up to a 10x speed bump but the lack of engineering response by Adobe seems like they think this performance being left on the table is a non-issue. 

These kinds of inconsistencies from app to app and year to year are what drives people like me crazy. Our job is both technical and creative and problem solving is part of the job, but you just want your established workflows to WORK not bug out every other release. Make use previews...use previews every time....

I don't want to have to render out to an intermediate ProRes file anymore, its too many hoops when you're on a tight deadline and adds more QC issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good information there, thanks for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I fully agree with the comment on QC software issues. You work with one Premiere Pro release get to know the pitfalls, but you can work around stuff.

Then the new release comes out .... (deep breath everyone) and the whole situation is turned upside down on its head where core things that worked don't anymore.

From my experience this points to :

1. Code is poorly structured and like a patchwork quilt

2. Design is poorly documented

3. Trying to spread software maintenance across too many teams with weak management

4. Weak QC/QA procedures and bypassing core functionality

5. Fee paying subscribers are the QA department

When you post an issue in Bug Reports  that can be replicated - there is never any Adobe Engineering response.

They tend to like attending to easy stuff like "the colour of my button is not orange but red" ......etc

I'm just getting a bit fed up with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, the export-with-previews is only supposed to work from within premiere pro itself, and that's how I used to use it because media encoder in the past did not honor that option.  In fact, their own documentation states the same thing.

Maybe they're migrating the functionality to Media Encoder; I'll have to check.  I wouldn't be surprised, since the new in-Premiere export dialog is hot garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it using Media Encoder and it did not work. Does work from export media though. Use previews is under general at the bottom of the settings window. At least it works that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which codec are you using for your renders?

Even if I have all complete ProRes422 renders present in the video previews folder Premiere does not access any of them and re-renders the entire timeline. 
At least that was how it behaved the last time I tried it.

Which version of Premiere are you using ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'm loving this thread.  The "Use Previews" used to work as it was designed to do. Use previews in the render to speed it up.  I remember using this feature to tske my timeline (which was DNXHR I think back then) to h264 and it was super fast export.  Then one version it just broke and wouldn't use the previews anymore. Not I'm doing what everyone else is, render the preview in Prores then exporting that out then doing the extra step of taking the prores file and rendering it to h264.  In the past I didn't have to do that.   And I have been using Premiere since version CS4, and WITHOUT fail Adobe will give us something new in a update but then take away something we need.  It's the Adobe way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time undersanding why this is such a difficult thing to fix.  I don't need the software to try to nanny what codec my previews are in, and I don't need a discussion about whether I should generate my master from long-gop interstitial files (who uses long-gop for previews anyway??).  I just want a button that says "use previews", thatn when checked, means PP and AME will use them, however crappy they do or don't look, no matter what resolution they are, etc.  The reality of most edit projects these days is that there are countless lo-res, lo-quality exports for review and notes, and then only one or two masters at the very end.  So speed is more important than quality on the vast majority of the exports I do.  I want the quality, of course, when I need it for a master.  But this is not a peripheral issue: it is a core issue to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would fully agree that it is difficult to comprehend why this annoying bug of not using previews on export has not been fixed.

The arrogance of Premiere Pro engineering to not even engage on this 'bug report' is also adding to the frustration of subscribing to software that does not function correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a primarily user to user forum, and they've relied on users helping others for most posts here. Staffer activity over the last year though is up rather dramatically. And they have recognized this is an issue.

They haven't popped back in with a final fix, no. Which would be a great thing, and yea, that this has taken so freaking long is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate