• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to select text or add new text with Type Tool

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to select or edit the existing text using the Type Tool. The selection gets instantly reverted. This also happens while adding new texts. Restarting the app is the only workaround. Here's a screen recording of the issue:

pr.gif

Premiere Pro Version: 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Laptop: Asus Vivobook Pro 15

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H

Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 3050

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Edited 7/18/24:

The original bug in this thread was from early 24.x Releases, including 24.2.1 That bug was fixed in Release 24.3. But similar problems are affecting some users with 24.5.0, and those reports have been merged with this thread. I cannot replicate the problem in 24.5.0. Specifically, adding and deleting a mask in Effect Controls does not create a problem.

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-tool/idc-p/14481907#M22542

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Hello @defaultr8rbg2obpuau,

Thank you for filing your bug report and providing the information needed to help solve this issue. I hope the team will respond shortly. I'm sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Hello @TheRossle,

Thanks for filing this bug report and for the information you supplied. I hope the team will address this bug report shortly. I have updated the status of the bug report. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the original version of the bug (that I could replicate), working in the Text panel was a workaround. I would give a try when this occurs next.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses. I'm using point text tools, always have text tool selected and click on the image to create my text. 

I've tried with and without effects applied.

Just to confirm, if I already have the type tool selected before I click on the text box, this bug doesn't happen. It only seems to happen if I have any other tool selected and I double click on the text box on the screen to select it.

Cheers all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stan! I'll try to break my habit and work in the captions panel. But I hope this gets resolved soon! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for me, I hadn't updated in a while and updating this kept happening. I even reverted back to the version before 24.5 and it's still happening.

I'm on MAC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version did you revert to?

The original bug was present from at least 24.2.1 and fixed in 24.3. But this "new"/related problem may have existed even then. So I would go back to at least 24.1.

When I install any update, I hold the shift key when starting PR the first time, reset preferences and clear the cache, and then create a new project. I use that for any initial tests to check for bug issues I'm tracking.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

The Problem:

Editing the text of an essential graphic doesn't work as expected.

Steps:

1. Select a graphic in the Timeline
  2. Have any tool other than the Text Edit, Pen or Rectangle Tool enabled.
  3. Double click the graphic in the Program monitor to enter text editing mode.
  4. Begin typing.

Expected Result:

Currently enabled tool automatically changes to Type tool, and I can edit text as normal.

Actual Result:

The Type Tool is automatically enabled, but as I begin typing the text is immediately deselected in the Program Monitor and, if I happen to press a key that functions as a shortcut for one of the Tools, that tool is enabled instead.

Workarounds:

• Double click the text layer directly in the Essential Graphics panel to enable text editing mode in the Program Monitor
  • Enable the Text Edit tool before attempting to enter text editing mode in the Program monitor
  • Edit the text from within the Graphics tab of the Text panel

All three of the above workarounds are less convenient and intuitive than simply being able to double-click on the graphic in the Program Monitor, regardless of whether or not the Text Edit tool is enabled, and begin editing text right away.

TheRossle_0-1720796126849.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that was not fixed until 24.3.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

You have some of the workarounds. 1) Try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away).

Some users in the newer releases are reporting a variation on this problem. Still being investigated.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @TheRossle,

Thanks for filing this bug report and for the information you supplied. I hope the team will address this bug report shortly. I have updated the status of the bug report. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the most recent update, whenever I am editing text on screen, about 75% of the time if I am typing inside the text field, and I hit a key which is also a keyboard shortcut, it will exit the text box and action that shortcut.

For example, A I have assigned to the zoom out timeline keyboard shortcut, so when I type a word with 'a' in it, it doesn't type the letter 'a' but instead exits the text editor, and zooms out the timeline.

The problem is it's doing it inconsistently, I'd say about 60-70% of the time it does this. The rest it behaves as normal. It seems if I first delete a character, then start typing, it is less likely to action a keyboard shortcut.

Anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it because this is driving me up the f*cking wall!

macOS 14.2 (23C64)

Premiere 24.5.0 Build 57

MBP M1 Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post here :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

This is similar to a bug from earlier 24.x Releases, including 24.2.1 That bug was fixed in Release 24.3. But similar problems are affecting some users with 24.5.0. I cannot replicate it. Specifically, adding and deleting a mask in Effect Controls does not create a problem.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update in Premiere Pro 24.5, I found an issue related to keyboard shortcuts and typing in text box in Program Monitor. The shortcuts always override during typing. 

For example, my V key is for Selection Tool, whenever I first type a V letter, it changed from Text Tool to Selection Tool; same as other shortcuts, like A key is Track Select Forward Tool, I type an A letter it triggered the tool. Even when I press space bar, it trigeered Play/Pause. I am sure I have the program monitor focused, a red rectangle is indicating the text box, the text box on the timeline is highlighted.

I can only type in the text box with luck if the shortcut isn't triggered, or sometimes select the text box from Essential Graphics panel does help, but not always working. Also, the keyboard shortcuts I've used is application wide, and I never customized any panel specific commands.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? 

System information

Premiere Pro 24.5.0

Mac Studio 2022, M1 Max 64GB

macOS Sonoma 14.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, while we believe this issue has been fixed, I know there are many possible paths the code can take to get to this bug. So if you are still experiencing this problem in current 24.5.x or 24.6.x builds, please post detailed bug steps (or a video) and we'll try to reproduce and fix. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing in the find box of the project panel, the cursor will often jump out of the box and to an item you have highlighted. 

To replicate (it seems to occur most in a project with a bunch of items, for instance in my current case it happens without fail in a project that has ~1300 archival images):

1. Throw a bunch of media items into your project.

2. Click on one of the project items in the project panel so it's now highlighted.

3. In the find box, start search for any term

4. Often, after typing only one character, the focus will immediately jump down to the project item that you had highlighted

This is particularly problematic because if you are a reasonably fast typist, you've already typed about 6 or 7 characters by the time you realized that you are no longer typing in the find box and so if you have shortcuts bound to those characters it may cause inadverent actions to happen. 

Workaround: Ensure you have no project items selected before initiating a search.

This has happened to me on every computer I've worked on for the past 3 or 4 years and so seems agnostic of hardware, codecs, or PPro version, but I'm currently on 24.5.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @lslater , I'm a little confused as my bug doesn't seem to be the same as this report that it got merged with. For one thing my issue is in the project panel, additionally, the cursor doesn't immediately jump out of the typing field when I'm tying, only after a character is entered.

That being said, I will try to provide a video when I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate