Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Broken After Playing Footage From Source Window

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

*Edit: Bug report is at the bottom of the post.

This issue is driving me insane and I hope someone can clear things up.

Every time I load a clip into the source window, playback freezes.

The only way to fix it is to save and restart the program. I have to do this for EVERY SINGLE CLIP.

If I import a folder with multiple clips and create sequence from clip, there's no issue. As long as I don't have to touch the project or source window, that is. Which we all know is impossible.

However, if for any reason I need to find some B-roll somewhere, playback breaks. I cannot figure out what's causing this.

At first I thought it had something to do with a large project, corrupted project, HEVC footage, sequence mismatches, etc. but that's not the case. Video or audio, it does not matter.

It's been happening since V23 and I can't go back to V22 because that version caused me to lose multiple edits every day. The famous autosave bug.

I've been running Nvidia studio driver 517.40 for a while now. That fixed other issues, but this one remains.

I recorded the issue; you can find the wetransfer link below in case the attachment does not work.

It's a video of a completely fresh project, with a random clip I downloaded for demonstration purposes.

https://we.tl/t-EFE38qIxYW

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio (Studio driver 517.40)

GSkill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 64GB (4x16GB)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (C: drive - Windows and programs)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (D: drive - Projects and footage)

WD Ultrastar 16TB (Archive drive)

Corsair RM750X 2018

Premiere Beta 23.1

Premiere 22 had too many other issues, which was the reason I moved on to 23.

Premiere 23 (Full release) also had too many issues, which is the reason I moved on to Beta 23.1.

Premiere Beta 23.2 would not even load. So that's not an option either.

- Already updated graphics driver (Tried 517.40 and above - have not tried the new 527 yet).

- Removed graphics driver with DDU and reinstalled from Nvidia website.

- Already tried 100% fresh Premiere install with reset preferences.

- Already had my RAM replaced earlier this year, didn't fix the problem.

- Yes, my RAM is on the motherboard QVL.

- Computer is running at stock settings, no overclocks whatsoever.

- Thought it might be a faulty GPU (VRAM) but doesn't seem to be the case since it only happens in Premiere.

- What I haven't tried is a complete Windows refresh, but I'm currently not in a position where I can take the time to go through a full rebuild of my system.

- BIOS is not on the latest version, but I doubt that would solve the issue. Other programs are fine.

• Issue - Playback breaks after activating source window and playing the footage. If I import a folder with multiple clips and create sequence from clip, there's no issue.*Edit: Playback breaks after opening the export window, then returning to the timeline. Exporting via media encoder with Premiere open also breaks the playback.
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: Premiere Beta 23.1.0 Build 75
  • Operating system - Windows 10 22H2 19045.2251
  • System Info: CPU, GPU, RAM, HD:
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

• MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio studio driver 517.40

• GSkill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 64GB (4x16GB)

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB M.2 (C: drive - Windows and programs)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2 (D: drive - Projects and footage)

WD Ultrastar 16TB SATA(Archive drive)

• Video format: Not format-specific. Happens with any footage. Happens with music as well.
  • Workflow details: Happens every single time. Not workflow-specific.
  • Steps to reproduce:

Create new project

Import footage

New sequence from clip (playback is fine)

Go to project window

Select a clip

Play the clip (playback freezes)

Drag clip to timeline (playback stays frozen).

• Expected result - Playback should continue.
  • Actual result -  Playback stays frozen.

[Moderator note: EXCELLENT, text-book bug report, THANK YOU! I moved this post to the Bugs section of this forum as that 1) flags this for the devs and 2) allows other users to upvote it.]

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

provide the video file for verification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Baffy19 Hey man, thanks for your reply. Do you mean the original file I downloaded from YouTube? Completely forgot about that. I'll upload it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues. For me it seems to be with one particular project. however im able to edit for about 10 minutes until the play head freezes. So I save, quit, reopen! It's horrible for flow. 

I've tried recreating the project in a few different ways. The project is 80% complete so I don't want to start from scratch. So for now, this is my life 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still dared to upgrade to the latest version 23.1 and so far I have not observed any problems with the display and fading of the Play head on the timeline, even when using the source window. If problems are identified, you will know about them. I am tired of these annual bugs and ridiculous mistakes, which I will ask hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Zwea,

Thanks for the message. I apologize for the lack of response to this bug report. Are you still having this issue? Let me know.

I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines