KIN722 64GB Kit DDR5-5600 Fury Beast NR 2
Black CL40 (2x32GB)
MIC601 Windows 11 Pro 64bit oem NR 1
PNY223 RTX 4080 16GB VERTO DLSS 3 NR 1
SAM885 500GB 980 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe NR 1
Gen 4.0
SAM886 1TB 980 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe Gen NR 1
SAM903 1TB 990 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe Gen NR 1

Hello and sorry for my bad english. As the title said, working with BRAW files in Premiere is terrible. I use BRAW studio. I can put my footage on my 980Pro, but the playback is choppy. If i have more than one layer in the timeline (one above the other) and i have all the layers active, Premiere die. If i set playback to full, the playback is a bit choppy. If i set playback to 1/2, playback is good. If  i set to 1/4, playback not works at all. I have audio but video is super choppy. 

Here is a video of the same timeline in Premiere and in Davinci at Full res. No way sir, in DaVinci i can have all tracks on, and i can choose the clip to play while the playback is working, without issues. 

Tried everything: close all panels, disabled H264 acceleration, disabled cuda in timeline, disabled mercury, cleared the cache...nothing works. 

This is not new to Premiere, i think that CS6 was the last usable Premiere.

Hope that is there a solution to this ridicolous performance...and i think that my system can handle all this stuff., as DaVinci show very well...or we need the Artemis One system to run Premiere?

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
Participant ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this...but is there someone that can reply to this thread? Is the situation that i'm having common? Is there a way to improve this ugly Premiere performance? We have 2 6K, 1 4K and 1 12K, we edit BM raw everyday, but in this situation is pretty impossible to work. 

Again, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find I can't get good playback from any Braw material, either with the Blackmagic plugin or the Autokroma braw studio. As expected playback in Resolve is very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really sad. I've find that the only timline that makes me play footage at Full resolution with a decent playback is the Red full HD one. I don' t know why. If i create a custom full hd timeline playback is choppy. I hope that Adobe and Blackmagic will solve this problems because, at least in Italy, we use BM cameras a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all and sorry for my bad english. I'm posting issues with Premiere, but no reply yet. So i've decided to open a new thread, to see if other people may have the same issues.

We have a lot of troubles with the old machine. I'm the man that rent pc for my company. So i've decided to rent a tested machine:

Prime Z790-P WiFi DDR5 Triple NR 1 M.2 ATX Socket 1700
BEQ043 Pure Loop 360 x Socket Socket NR 1 1700 1200 2066 AM4 AM5
BEQ046 Silent Base 802 Black ATX NR 1
CRA052 RM1000x Shift 1000W PCIe 5.0 NR 1
Modulare 80 Plus Gold
INI768 CORE i9 13900K 3Ghz 24 Core NR 1 Socket LGA1700 no FAN
KIN722 64GB Kit DDR5-5600 Fury Beast NR 2 Black CL40 (2x32GB) 128GB Tot
MIC601 Windows 11 Pro 64bit oem NR 1
PNY223 RTX 4080 16GB VERTO DLSS 3 NR 1
SAM885 500GB 980 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe NR 1 Gen 4.0
SAM886 1TB 980 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe Gen NR 1 4.0
SAM903 1TB 990 Pro SSD M.2 NVMe Gen NR 1 4.0

The machine was working good. Cinebench give as a wonderful result. Ae benchmark project was great: 2.40 minutes to render. Premiere performance seems good...

Problems begin with Element 3D and AE. The system was unstable, and infamous three beeps came out. 

So i've understand that people that made the machine, was using an aggressive overclock. I'm not good at all in this kind of settings, so i've updated Bios, drivers and chpset and everything was reset to system default. And now the nightmare begins.

Ae and Element are working good, no crash anymore. AE benchmark was rendered in 3.00 minutes, and its good enough.

Premiere performance instead was terrible. I can't playback BRAW 6k files at full resolution. I can't have three or two tracks active, Premiere start chopping everything. I have BRAW studio by the way. And i can't set the resolution to 1/4. Simply i have a freeze frame.

So i've decided to test the same timeline in Da Vinci, and as expected, i can playback everything in real time and i can switch from tracks easly at full res. This was not related only to BRAW files. R3d 8k files in Da Vinci play smooth like butter, in Premiere MXF and r3d have a ridicolous playback.

So i've downloaded the Premiere benchmark from PugetBench, and i have a result of 715...really poor.

After this i've decided to set the Bios to a low overclock. I think that a lot of people use Asus motherboards, and you can set the settings to Fast Tuning. This seems to be a reliable overclock.

As expected, Da Vicni now is flying, AE seems to have a good performance...but i can't play a 6K BRAW file at full res in Premiere..not so true..if i have only one track and short clips, i can playback them at full res. If i have longer files and more track, the only thing that works is to set the res to 1/2. By the way, with Fast Tuning 1/4 resolution works as expected.

I've run again the Premiere Benchmark, and i have a result of  940. Again, good but really not so good.

I've tested the Extreme Tuning, and Premiere was like a nightmare. Poor performance and poor playback.

So now the machine is in Asus Optimal with Fast Tuning.

Now the totally random and unpredictable bug of Premiere:

- If i create a FULL HD custom timeline and put 6K files in it, playback is not so good at full res. If i create a 1080 r3d timeline, everything works well. I was ever thinking that this are only presets. In fact, everything is the same in an r3d 1080 timeline and a custom one. But one work and the other not.

I know that new machines are made for overclock. They suggest me to usa Intel cpu because is really good and can be overclocked with no issues. I don't spent money for Adobe apps, the company in wich i work does it. I don't spent money on workstation, the company in wich i work does it. But let me say this: if i have buy this machine and set it to default, i will have a really bad Premiere performance, and for the money, this will be unacceptable. I don't know why other software became faster and light with this new machines, while Adobe software became heavy and unstable. I don't know why Premiere needs a NASA pc to edit 6k footage (by the way, we use Q5 on BM cameras, the lightest file in the world). But what i know is that: if you want to run Premiere, you need to overclock your system.

And now the question: since a lot of people uses ASUS motherboard with its AETweek, why Adobe doesn't set some overclock for us? I have to work, and i'm not good at all in doing overclock. But, at least for me, overclock is the only way to use Premiere.

Really hope that someone read this and reply. At this point, i have no answers and no tips to have a better performance from Adobe. The only things that you find are online videos with kind people that resolve issues in place of Adobe.

Ah! I've tested your Premiere repair tool (i don't remember how it is called). If you change your workspace, he say that your preference file is corrupted :)))))))))

Oh, by the way, on my system are installed Adobe software, Cinema 4D and Da Vinci. No other software.

Have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like a lonley boy, i'll reply to myself just to see if this post stay up, and waiting for an official reply from Adobe. We listen to you, we are able to reproduce this issues, we are not able to reproduce this issue...like it happen long,long,long time ago. I'm here waiting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't get an official reply from Adobe. This is a user to user forum.

@Kevin-Monahan might drop by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply...long time ago this forum was used to solve bugs and performance issues, even if it is a user to user forum. I'm getting old and things seem to be changed since that time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of things have changed most for the worst if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is true...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is particular pathetic is Adobe doesn't seem that is a good idea that engineers and developers even read user comments in this form. Time after time it is stated by Adobe coroporate apologists that "hey, our people don't even come here". And even if they did, they are so defensive and sensitive it is ridiculous. Look at how defiant Adobe folks were regarding overwhelming negative feedback on the new export process. And often they try to spin bugs and shortcommings as "protective safety features" like with Premiere's joke-ish media management. 

They need to get some hardcore video and media guys on that team to guide their over-matched software folks who don't seem to understand their customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @cam matador,

I read your note. For any specific issues or feature requests, you can address the product team in the bugs or ideas forums. If you want to make off topic commentary that is not germane to a specific troubleshooting issue, and does not violate Adobe Community Guidelines, kindly make that in the Video Lounge forum. We need to keep those posts that do violate our guidelines clear from these forums. I hope that all forum contributors can understand why adhering to those guidelines is very important for all of us. Have a great week!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Roberto Tafuro,

I read your post and sorry you are experiencing poor performance with BRAW material. I moved your duplicate post to the bug reports forum. I am also merging this post with the bug report because duplicate posts are not helpful. I hope that's OK.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply. But i think that all this probolema are related to the way Premiere uses GPU and CPU. With Fast Tuning in BIOS settings we can work again, not at full res all the times (this is not a must have, but sometimes clients want to see their products in super full res, so unfortunately i have to go back and forth from DaVinci. Hope that something new will come soon. Thank you again and sorry if i've posted in the wrong section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not at home til later in the week. I do primarily BRAW with the Autokroma plug-in and haven't had any playback issues on my Puget PC, 3960x 2080Ti. All SSD working drives.

I'll check again when I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate