• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PREMIERE NOT OPENING FILES

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I need urgent assitance - premiere crashed on a big edit delivery, now it wont open any of the project files.  Require uregnt tech support. 

Can anyone help. 

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

> maybe you can give us some insight into the inner workings of Premiere as to how both the project and autosaves could be corrupted?

My team is responsible for PPro's project handling; the above statement makes no sense. 🙂

If a project was invalid, it could not be opened; if it could not be opened, it could not be saved. 

Can someone give us one of these 'corrupted' projects, please? No media necessary.

>...Wondering if launching the latest autosave at the end of the day would confirm it's integri

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Hi Joshua (and Michael),

The problem seems to be with an instance of warp stabilizer, applied to 'A012C062_240119XI_CANON' (in several sequences); specifically, the relevant effect data/settings saved into the project have somehow become corrupted, which led to malformed .xml getting saved into the project. Any auto-saves of the .prproj before Warp Stabilizer was applied, should work.

Related: If you can reliably destroy .prproj files by applying Warp Stabilizer as was done in this project,

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Never easy to troubleshoot premiere problems from a distance so please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and if you have any 3rd party plugins installed for Premiere... Also, sequence settings and clip properties can also help. Although you can throw almost any format into premiere, some formats can be problematic, particularly on an underpowered system.   Once we have this info, we may be able to get you over the hump. 

First thing to try though is to reset your premiere preferences...   google how to do it

And delete your caches

Uninstalling Premiere and reinstalling it may help.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thanks so much.

We have tried clearing the cache. 

And reinstalling the software. 

OS version: Ventora 13.4.1 
Premiere Version: v23.0.0

RAM: 16gb 

Hardware specs: aple m2 pro. Editing 16tb drive. 

Sequence settings: TBC trying to open a file from one week ago. 

Clip properties: Filmed on canon c300m2 so MXF and a Mavic, so MOV, so JPGS etc. Largerly all at 25fps. 

Here are the answers to your questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening the most recent version from the autosave?

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you can try to uninstall Premiere Pro, then download the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool for Mac. Use the tool to remove all Adobe Creative Cloud components. Afterward, reinstall Creative Cloud and then reinstall Premiere Pro.

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off the phone with Joshua and wasn't able to help him.  He sent me the project file and even without the media it would not open...  There used to be someone on this forum who could dig in to the project file and fix this sort of problem.  Can't find the link...  If anyone has this link, please add it to this thread...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can he search his Mac to locate any autosave files?

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Grenadier,

Did you try creating a new project and importing his bad one?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, he tried and I tried it.  No luck...  Digital Rebellion has a project repair feature in 

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance

No luck so far, but playing with the options and I've emailed the author of the software directly (an old friend).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Have forwarded this on to Joshua in case he misses the post on The
Forum.

Michael 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I'd kept contact information on the guy that could repair project files but I clearly didn't. Dang.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, Neil. We found it and it’s mentioned earlier in this thread.

Pretty sure this is the guy
Mohsen Atari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Toxos, get the same message when trying to open the project in the Media Browser...   But something else to add to our aramentarium in our endless fight against the powers of evil.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unfortunate, but here's an outlandish thought: if Time Machine, macOS's backup feature developed by Apple, is active on his Mac, he could essentially "travel back in time!" 

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm...  the fact that the autosaves are also corrupted...  I save my projects in a folder that's mirrored on dropbox and because I pay for a dropbox subscription (with a substantial Adobe discount) I can access a months worth of versions, but still have my doubts,,, How do autosaves get corrupted while you're still able to work on the project...  Mystifying...   Anyone with a theory on how this can happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean If the Time Machine is active, it can revert your data to its previous unblemished state, enabling you to select a specific moment where everything functioned perfectly and return your project to that precise point.

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toxos, I understand.  Just not sure the time machine files would behave any differently than the autosave or project files.  And since the OP, Joshua, hasn't said that he had an active time-machine backup...  It's definitely a conundrum that autosaves and the project file are all corrupted...  Last I heard from Joshua, he was talking about rebuilding his edit...  but kudos to you.  Your suggestions are great...  but like mine, don't seem to solve the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan, maybe you can give us some insight into the inner workings of Premiere as to how both the project and autosaves could be corrupted?  I'm assuming that the user is doing a manual save at the end of the day and shutting down the computer...    Wondering if launching the latest autosave at the end of the day would confirm it's integrity...  Generally I don't launch autosaves unless there's a crash or I've made a serious mistake and need to go beyond the "undo" list...   I have a feeling there may be a common denominator that we're missing...  Could it be a good idea to shut your computer down at the end of the day?  

Obviously this doesn't happen very often, but it can be a disaster when it does...  I've been doing this for a very long time starting in Avid, the FCP 1-7 and Premiere for the last 8 years or so...  and it's happened on all 3 platforms...  and come to think of it, I had it happen in Resolve once...

@Joshua368835442fll, I hope you're doing ok and that your client understands the kind of problems that can happen in post...  Back in the day when we used to have to fedex vhs tapes to clients for review, I would insist that we do an output around 5pm to make sure we at least had something we could send...  and then we could keep working til the last moment... 

And as always, thanks to this community... even when we can't solve the problem, I learn new things about this amazing program....   for example, never seen the need to use the media browser although I've been told here that it is sometimes the best way to open a project or import media (still don't see it)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> maybe you can give us some insight into the inner workings of Premiere as to how both the project and autosaves could be corrupted?

My team is responsible for PPro's project handling; the above statement makes no sense. 🙂

If a project was invalid, it could not be opened; if it could not be opened, it could not be saved. 

Can someone give us one of these 'corrupted' projects, please? No media necessary.

>...Wondering if launching the latest autosave at the end of the day would confirm it's integrity...

Opening a project successfully confirms a project's integrity.

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce, thanks so much for joining the conversation. It may make no sense...  but apparently happened to the OP on this thread...  Let me check with the OP and see if it's ok to send you the project...    and maybe you can reach out to him if you need more details...    And I remember seeing this problem on the forum a few times over the years....    And I have a vague memory of it happening to me. many years ago...  and don't remember if I was able to solve it or not...    I spoke with the OP on the phone and emailed back and forth to see if I could help.  Asked all the obvious questions...    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be interested to hear about that!

T.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We ended up having to essentially go back to a copy from 48hours ago, that had not broken. Then repidly re-do everything. The ultimate crap thing here, is adobe support doesnt do weekends. really cost us. It's hard also as it was a pilot project for not using Avid, and it failing at the last moment is a black mark. Otherwise the software was brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshua, thanks for getting back to us.  Hopefully Bruce Bullis will get back to us with some clues as to what's going on...  Had you quit Premiere and shut down your computer in that last 48 hrs?  Wondering if that might be part of the problem.... as I don't think the corruption of the project and autosaves would not have been evident with out doing this.   As I said, I maybe saw this issue 8 years ago or so, but not since.  My workflow of keeping my projects in a folder that's automatically mirrored on and Dropbox and my autosave folder on my media drive may be partly responsible...   And although I don't shut down my computer most nights, I do quit premiere at the end of the work day.  

Votes

Translate

Translate