• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 23.6.0 clipping HDR multi-camera

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro 23.6.0 (build 65) to create a multi-camera sequence in HDR. The clips are from two different cameras, one is the Sony A7R4 and the other the Sony FX3 (both with the latest firmware). I'm working on a sequence in Rec. 2100 PQ (with auto tone map media).

The footage from the A7R4 has the colospace (1-18-1), and for the FX3 I did the color space override from Rec. 709 to be Sony S-Log3/S-Gamut3.Cine

After I create the multi-camera sequence with both clips the camera for the A7R4 (1-18-1) peaks at around 1k nits and the FX3 peaks at around 100 nits, I can see that in the Lumetri Scopes, and it shows Rec. 2100 and HDR.

A7R4:

tresoho_studios_1-1695836230177.png

FX3:

tresoho_studios_2-1695836269820.png

And if I do open the footage from the FX3 as an idividual clip I can see it as HDR:

tresoho_studios_3-1695836348666.png

I think this is a bug that is taking the original color space (709) from the FX3 when doing the multi-camera and not the overriden color space. Also, every time I add new footage from the FX3 I have to go to Interpret Footage and do a color space override to S-Log3 as it comes as 709, that could also be a bug as I'm shooting in S-Log3.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Color , Editing and playback , Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several things that can affect this, first ... is the multicam sequence CM set to PQ? Second, are auto-detect log color space (Project/Production settings dialog) and auto-tonemapping (sequence settings dialog) checked or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Please let me know what is the CM?, I have the sequence created out of the multi-camera set to PQ. I didn't know about the auto detect log color space, so I switched it to on now, my sequence is set to auto tone map.

After doing the change to auto detect log color space I went again and tried to recreate the multi-camera sequence but still the clipping is happening but now for both footages at 100 nits.

I'm wondering if I should create a brand new project with the auto detect log footage "on" from the get go and try everything again.

tresoho_studios_0-1695841567463.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CM ... color management. Sorry for the acronym ... 😉

Make sure all clips are either PQ in the clip properties, or, if log, the auto detect log and auto-tonemapping are on. Yea, I do mean ... check again.

Create a new sequence. Set the sequence CM to the Rec2100/PQ you wish to use ... 

Make sure also that the "Display color management" option of the Preferences is checked, "extended dynamic range when available" on any Macs, and that the OS and monitor are both set to HDR/PQ.

Now try to recreate that multicam ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I created a brand new project and checked the auto detect log color space before anything else. When I dragged the FX3 footage into the project it still says 709, but I did the override again to S-Log3.

tresoho_studios_0-1695842584646.png

When I created the new multi-camera with the A7R4 and FX3 I still have the same issue, peaking at around 100 nits. Something that I tried now was to create a multi-camera with two footages from the FX3 and one of them also peaks at around 100, one of them has it over 100 but doesn't look like HDR, it seems to be clipping a little bit after 100 nits, this is not the scope I would see if I look at the footage individually and not in a multi-camera.

All the sequences have the color management or color space set to PQ.

tresoho_studios_2-1695843218575.png

And I always have the extended dynamic range checked.

tresoho_studios_3-1695843510448.png

But the problem I see is not in the display but in the lumetri scope values (although I can see in the monitor display that the image is clipping).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use the Override-To option to set those clips to HDR/PQ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You won't believe what happened.

I don't know if this should be a cause of celebration or concern but I downloaded the Premiere Pro (beta) and they "Resolved" (pun intended) the issue in this beta version, so I think I will be able to complete the project. But when I tried to open some files the beta version freezes.

Here's the concerning part, when I saw your message I thought about giving it a try in the non-beta version of Premiere, and when I opened the project the clipping issue was gone also in the non-beta. Now the footage is interpreted properly... but the freezing issue is also happening in the non-beta version (I checked twice to make sure I wasn't in the beta, and restarted my computer).

In the beta version the files have a "?" (question mark as icon), and now when I go to the non-beta they have the same icon. I'm working on two different projects, a copy for the beta and the existing project I had so one doesn't messes up the other.

I think that they fixed the issue but by installing the beta some common application files got replaced in my non-beta Premiere and now the clipping issue is fixed but I can't open the files... a lot of fun.

But I believe I will manage to finish the project as the clipping is gone and I can do what I need in the sequence although with a bit of pain.

Thanks for all the help, I couldn't try interpreting the footage as HLG or PQ as when I try to do it the app freezes and I have to force quit every time, but it's a good idea. Can't wait for Adobe to release this new version, it has some needed changes to color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate