Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

30 FPS in a 24 FPS timeline

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating a film that I shot in the begining at 30fps and have added 24fps footage. I hope to get the best quality with my footage. Im noticing the shots at 30fps look choppy as premiere automically removes additional frames to fit 24fps timeline. Can I fix this without manipulating the footage? Does premiere allow changes in frame rate for sections of a project to match the ideal frame rate of the shots?

Thank you to all for the consideration!      

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select a clip in the timeline and right click and choose "time interpolation."  You'll see there are 3 options, frame sampling, frame blending and optical flow.  frame sampling simply drops frames, frame blending will mix frames and optical flow will actually create new frames which can be pretty amazing or pretty terrible depending on the amount of movement and detail.  I'd suggest you try both editing into a 24p and 30 fps timeline and play with these options to see what gives you the best results..  Render the clips in the timeline to be able to judge the relative merits of each option.  ...  Is all your material progressive?  that can also be another complicating factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just realized that I didn't go into enough detail...  If you decide to edit 24p material  into a 30fps sequence, frame sampling will repeat frames, frame blending will repeat and mix frames and optical flow will create new frames...

And probably didn't explain any of the issues with combining progressive and interlaced footage.  Hopefully we won't have to go there, but if you will be mixing progressive and interlaced footage post back and hopefully someone can point you in the direction of the best workflow...    Again, testing various workflows is always advisable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible! I will givde these recomindations a try. I was able to get the play back smooth using a 30 fps timeline. What do you mean by progressive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

interlaced and progressive video are 2 different formats and I honestly don't have the energy or time to explain the differences.     Found this with a quick google

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00032537

but probably won't make it clear to you.    It's complicated and the only reason I know all about it is that I've been working in video for a very long time...  and for the most part it's not that important unless you have to deal with material that is shot interlaced or working with older material... or are delivering where you're required to follow certain specifications...   Maybe  someone else will be able to go into greater detail...  or I may be able to put it down in writing after I've had some coffee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have many sequences (timeline). You can have 24 and 30fps sequences. But, I think it would be best to try different options like MG said. Try both, and take it all the way out to export to make sure you are moving on the best path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have diffrent sequences with diffrent frame rates I still need to export in either 24 or 30 so setting at one or the other is best option based on what you are telling me. Thank you again for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines