Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4k Proxy files - wrong aspect ratio

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am about to edit some Red Raw 4k footage and want to create Proxy-Files. The "Create Proxy" Dialog offers me a Proxy Preset "Pro Res Proxy 1536x790" which is the Aspect-Ratio of my footage. The footage uses 2:1 Anamorph Pixels, the converted Proxy ends up with square pixels squeezed into the 1536x790 leaving wide black strips at the left and right. Can I somehow change that or create a custom preset?

Thanks,

rené

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

You can create a custom preset in AME. First you will want to Create Encoding Preset, setting your desired Format and select the Video tab to set the video parameters such as Width & Height, Frame Rate, Field Order, Aspect, etc. Just make sure that your frame size/PAR combination is evenly divisible with your R3D clip and that the Frame Rate, Field Order and Aspect all match the R3D clip.

Now you want to Create Ingest Preset, click the checkbox for Transcode files to Destination and select the En

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you Modified the RED clips for proper display?  Before creating the Proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. How?  (First time editing RED for me).

The RED files show well though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't come in squished?  Before making the proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originals show just fine. The dimension of the proxy also makes sense. Only that the image itself of the proxy is squeezed into that dimension instead of filling it out completly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  What are the dimensions of the original footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem - my RED anamorphic files are 5184x4320 (1.2 ratio) with a pixel ratio of 2.0 (effectively 2.40 ratio) but the Proxy presets only seem to allow for 1.0, resulting in the same pillarboxes when the proxy toggle is selected. The proxies were QT ProRess 422 Proxy, at 1536x790

When I follow the Adobe instructions to create a new Ingest preset there is no option to specify the resolution or pixel ratio

Original footage:

proxy_problem_1.jpg

Proxy view:

proxy_problem_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Export Settings dialog to create new presets and export them to the hard drive for later Import as a Proxy Ingest preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a custom preset in AME. First you will want to Create Encoding Preset, setting your desired Format and select the Video tab to set the video parameters such as Width & Height, Frame Rate, Field Order, Aspect, etc. Just make sure that your frame size/PAR combination is evenly divisible with your R3D clip and that the Frame Rate, Field Order and Aspect all match the R3D clip.

Now you want to Create Ingest Preset, click the checkbox for Transcode files to Destination and select the Encode Preset that you just created. Also set a Destination. Save the Ingest Preset and import it into Premiere.

Some additional information: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent, I'm having this issue as well, but I don't see the "Video" tab in AME you are referring to. Is this solution current in 2022? I have a preset that works fine with 16x9 footage, but some archival is other ratios and the proxies don't preserve the aspect ratio of the original files. I'd like to add AME to add pillar boxes to the footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UI for the "tabs" has changed a bit since my original post, but you can still find the Video section when opening Preset Settings.

PresetSettings.png

The tutorial video that Dansome listed below also covers custom preset creation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is why it would be Super helpful to let use create presets where you could specify a maximum height or width, or set a percentage of original size, then select "keep aspect ratio." This way you'd have proxies that may have different resolutions, but they are all based on the original files. Having to create a new proxy preset for every type of footage we might get, Then have to figure out how to share that preset with the team (PLEASE let us choose our own paths for things like that so we can collaborate more easily), is a not the most efficient use of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @michaelhenry13,

Is it possible to upload those presets for the ingest presets once more? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a few customs ingest presets that solves this problem for 4 common aspect ratios, you can download them here on my site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael, 

the download link is expired. Could you reupload the customs ingest presets for me? That would be awesome! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

for everyone who has the same problem as me.

I found a good tutorial on youtube how to create custom ingest presets.

If you change the aspect ratio in your preset on media encoder and use this for building a proxy in premiere, you should´nt have these problems anymore.

You find the tutorial here : 

Creating Custom Ingest Presets for Proxy Workflows in Premiere Pro | Adobe Creative Cloud - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines