• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

59.94i importing as 29.97p

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a C100 mkii, in which I have recorded multiple clips at 59.94i AVCHD for slow motion purposes. When I import files into premiere, they are reading/playing back as 29.97. I have tried "Interpreting Footage" to 59.94 but all that does is interpret the footage at 2x speed, instead of true 60i playback. 

I tested the camera with all frame rates, 29.97 imports properly, and 23.976 imports properly. It seems to only be an issue with 59.94i AVCHD.

What is the fix for this? I am pretty dissapointed about not having the slow-motion clips available for editing. 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

only** does not have 59.94p, only** interlaced...

By @EveePeasy

The Bitrate setting in the camera is what you need to play with. In some modes you won´t get progressive.

More here: https://youtu.be/zft1TIEoRH4?t=1469

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

59.94i (interlaced) is not the same thing as shooting 59.94p (progressive). In fact, 59.94i IS 29.97p. So you're not going to get the slowdown potential you would get if you were shooting progressive scan.

Adding in a link here to YouTube to learn about the difference between interlaced and progressive: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=interlaced+video+explained

If you want a sort of oversimplified TL;DR, when you are shooting interlaced you're only recording half of an image for every frame. Rather than a full image every frame in the case of progressive. Interlaced is primarily used in broadcast television.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, 59.94i IS 29.97p.

By @Phillip Harvey

No, 59,94i is not 29,97p. It´s 29,97i. 🙂

59,94i and 29,97i is 29,97 interlaced frames per second. Some prefer to name it 59,94i and some use 29,97i but in the end it´s the same thing. The same goes for PAL framerates, 50i and 25i is 25 interlaced frames per second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my fear. Thank you. Basically the c100 is garbage hahaha. It's the camera my job gave me to use and this is just another reason I don't like it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically the c100 is garbage hahaha.

By @EveePeasy

You wrote that you have the C100 MkII and that camera have the ability to shoot 59,94p, so check the settings in camera and for now use the freeware app MediaInfo - Download (mediaarea.net) to check if the footage you have is 59,94i or 59,94p.

It´s not uncommon for Premiere Pro to mis-interpret the footage, so it´s definitely worth checking.

MediaInfo is a great tool to check the footage´s properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This C100 does not have 59.94p on interlaced. otherwise would have shot in progressive. Is it a firmware update that allows for 59.94 progressive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @EveePeasy

I found this on bhphotovideo.com and on other pages for the C100 MkII:

Averdahl_0-1635792473192.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow! You are totally correct. This is awesome! at full bit-rate I now have the option for 59.94p.

I didn't realize the camera was set to a lwoer bit-rate before it was given to me.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @EveePeasy

The Bitrate setting in the camera is what you need to play with. In some modes you won´t get progressive.

More here: https://youtu.be/zft1TIEoRH4?t=1469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for the correction. I guess I'm just trying to say it's kind of like having half the frames - although technically there are no full frames. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where's Jim Simon when you need him? 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines