Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

8bpc or 16bpc for broadcast - Prores 422HQ

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I'm about rendering a Prores 422HQ 25fps upper field first file for broadcast TV. Should I set the bpc to 8 or 16? 8bpc is ticked by default. Should o change it? Which will pass QC?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

I used to always say the 8bpc is fine. But in some intense testing by @Jarle Leirpoll he found that indeed, setting the 16bpc switch is wise in both seqeunce settings and in exports for many things ... especially 'upper' Q DNx and ProRes formats.

So ... probably the 16bpc option is at least safest if not wise or (quite possibly) necessary.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to always say the 8bpc is fine. But in some intense testing by @Jarle Leirpoll he found that indeed, setting the 16bpc switch is wise in both seqeunce settings and in exports for many things ... especially 'upper' Q DNx and ProRes formats.

So ... probably the 16bpc option is at least safest if not wise or (quite possibly) necessary.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that using the option ,,Render at Maximum Depth" automatically sets the depth to 32 bpc and there is no need to choose 16 bpc, is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the way it clearly used to work ... but in testing by Jarle, and replicated by me ... don't assume so anymore. If you need that bit depth, check the 16bpc box also. Simply "work safe".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines