Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 - GPU Memory Leak

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have a serious problem that prevents us from working. When editing UHD1 (Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM), 4K or 6K (e.g. RED Dragon or Komodo R3D) footage, making some color grading etc. the VRAM fills up pretty fast and the preview goes black all of a sudden. It can happen after seconds of editing, especially when doing some color correction on raw footage. After restarting the program, it works for a short period, but after some time, the problem comes back. Everytime! We really can't work that way.

Our workstations:
HP z8

CPU 2 x Intel Xeon Silver 4114 2.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB, driver 471.11 Studio
and
HP z820
CPU 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.50 GHz, 32 GB RAM
GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8 GB, driver 471.11 Studio

The problem occurs on both machines alike. Is there a solution? Thank you!
TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a bug. That being said Premiere Pro buffers out several frames in advanced to VRAM. 6K R3D files might be to hard on the GTX 1080 Ti. 6K R3D is a lot of data to store to VRAM.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andy 1968, Thank you for your response!

Unfortunately, we get the same error with Sony XDCAM MXF-UHD1-Files. It doesn't happen as fast, but it happens. The culprit seems to be color grading tasks in particular. We use the comparison view and built in color grading tools of Premiere pro (Lumetri color). No external plugins. The comparison view alone almost doubles the VRAM usage. And every subtle color edit fills the VRAM more and more. We can reproduce it within seconds, even with just one clip in the timeline.

So my question is: How much VRAM is really needed to work with R3D 6k files without major issues like that? We can't be the only ones with this kind of problem...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

As Andy said I will say that the GPU might not be powerfull enough to work on that kind of footage, so, as soon as you do color correction, the GPU can't handle it anymore. 

Hope you find a solution !

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the Sony files can be up to 600 MBPS. That is a lot of data. Does switching to 1/2 resolution help? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what if you render IN/OUT everytime you do a color correction, even tho it's annoying to do? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I'm currently editing a 90 minute stage show and began encountering this problem recently when making HSL or colour wheel adjustments on the RED angle (DSMC2 8K Helium Weapon shooting 6K).  Performance had been great before making Lumetri HSL/Colour wheel adjustments.  This angle is joined with multiple Sony FX6/A7Siii streams, Canon C100 and Insta360 One X2 footage, but I only have gpu memory leaks when adjusting colour on the RED stream.  In task manager, I can see the vram spike to full and hold there until I close/reopen the program, but ofcourse the program hangs when trying to close it, so I'm losing a lot time to this issue everytime I make an adjustment.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K (stock clocks)
RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator 3000mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX2080 8gb (w/471.41 studio driver)
MEDIA: Editing off SSDs solely

My Premiere version is v15.2.0 - there is an update available, but I won't be installing it until this project is over.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get a black preview aswell, as soon the VRAM maxes out doing colour adjustments on RED 6K footage? We are on Premiere 15.4.0, but it happend on 15.2.0, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I begin adjusting colour and the preview window goes black.  Check task manager and the vram is full. I can temporarily see the preview window again for a bit if I move the playhead by hitting play, dragging it with my mouse or using the arrow keys but it eventually the stops showing anything and I need to restart the program.  Everything works fine again until I make a colour adjustment on the RED stream.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever find a solution?

i have been struggling with this FOR YEARS!

edting 8k RED files with a 2080Ti card and if i do a minor curve adjustments with lumetri, the vram just spikes until it's depleted and then black screen until a restart.

It's unbeliveable 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never really found a permanent solution to this. Sort of a workaround is to do color adjustments via adjustment layers. But that is by far no solution to the core issue here, which is a serious GPU memory leak. It's up to Adobe to fix this once and for all. But I'm afraid this will never happen, since it's been there for ages.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tested the newly released '22 version and all I can say, is, that the problem is still not fixed. Has Adobe even ever acknowledged this? Is there any chance to get directly in touch with Adobe experts on that matter? Every ticket I made resulted in just some useless basic troubleshooting, but nothing really helpful. And the workaround with adjustment layers doesn't always reliably work, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here for me. It's unreal frustrating and like you, I tried multiple attempts with customer service and it's always the same generic answers that fade out into nothingness.

I have no idea on how to REALLY get Adobe's attention. I suppose the company is just too big and don't care

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines