• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alexa open gate footage coming in wrong size?

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have open gate Alexa footage (4448x3096) ProRes4444 MXFs.  Upon import via Media Browser, Premiere Pro (22.4.0) is seeing a resolution of 4480x3096, resulting in vertical black lines on the right and left (presumably 16 pixels wide).

Is this a known bug?  Is there something I'm missing?

My Asst. Editor has already passed clips to GFX for tracking and screen replacment with this altered raster size (4480x3096), so I'm afraid I've got a bit of a mess on my hands...

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at Arri's Formats and Resolutions Document, I see this must be Premiere Pro looking at  Recording File Container Size insteand of Recording File Image Content, resulting in clip padding of 16x on left and right.  DaVinci displays the 4448x3096, and this seems like the desired result for an NLE.  Is there a reason Premiere Pro has opted instead to display the footage with the clip padding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did this go, what did you end up doing? I'm encountering the same issue with different resolutions in Resolve and Premiere. Trying to force Premiere to read LF footage as 4448x3096 instead of 4480x3096.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the format.

The Sensor Maximum Resolution Size, Sensor Active Image Area Photosites, and Recording File Image Content are 4448-by-3096 while the Recording File Container Size is 4480-by-3096.

Recording File Container Size for LF Open Gate ProRes 4.5K from the ALEXA LF technical data PDFRecording File Container Size for LF Open Gate ProRes 4.5K from the ALEXA LF technical data PDF

Detailed information is available here:

https://www.videocineimport.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Technical-Data-ALEXA-LF.pdf

Open gate footage is usually reframed to the edit frame size and/or the delivery frame size, so the slight pillar boxing is not anything to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines