• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio clips (gain/level)

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why the clip in screenshot #1 shows a gain of -5.6 dB.  Does that refer to the sound decreasing throughout the clip?  What might be causing that?

Also, in screenshot #2,  it shows a different gain (+7.6 dB).  They both however are showing the same volume level of 0.  

How can I ensure these clips have the same sound settings?

If I can still hear the audio, why is the level "0"?

Screenshot #1:

n0n0_0-1666489846625.png

Screenshot #2:

n0n0_1-1666490050096.png

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Gain and Volume are two different methods for adjusting how loud your audio is. While I'll leave specific details to someone more audio-focused, you can think of Gain as an input signal and Volume as adjustment to the output (I think). In practice you may not actually notice much of a difference in what the result is while working with the clips in Premiere, but what it means is that you can adjust both of those things independently.

The Gain menu (pictured) allows you to normalize clips based o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gain and Volume are two different methods for adjusting how loud your audio is. While I'll leave specific details to someone more audio-focused, you can think of Gain as an input signal and Volume as adjustment to the output (I think). In practice you may not actually notice much of a difference in what the result is while working with the clips in Premiere, but what it means is that you can adjust both of those things independently.

The Gain menu (pictured) allows you to normalize clips based on peaks or to make specific adjustments to the gain level. This is going to affect an entire clip's audio level.

PhillipHarvey_0-1666495010298.png

Volume is an animatable property on the clip that you can adjust in Effect Controls or in the timeline. A volume level of 0 does not mean the volume is set to 0dB. It just means that you haven't adjusted the volume either up or down from its starting point. (It's the same with the gain.)

In your case you've added gain to the clips, perhaps in the process of normalization, so depending on the clips peak value it the gain would be adjusted differently for each clip. Then if you wanted to make fine tuned adjustments to clips via keyframes on the volume you could also do that.

Audio Keyframing.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP ME OUT: I've adjusted the gain of audio clips unknowingly about volume & gain & I've done that several times & saved the file. Now I want to bring the gain of all audios to their default & there are over 370 audio clips in my project & it's really hard to replace each clip with the original clip & then give it the same in & out point.

Please tell me any short method to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all in the timeline > right click > Gain > set parameter > OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I do not remember the original gain levels, setting the parametrs won't do any good to me. Although, I have figured out that some my clips are getting back to normal (greyed out fx badge on audio clips) after I'm reducing the gain to -20. But still to many audio clips are still showing yellow badge, even if no effect is applied to them and I've brought their gain to the original levels by comparing it with the source audio files. But still those yellow badges are not going away.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines