• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to remove a shirt rustle in Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interview and everything is good but a shirt rustle when she moves her arms. I have found a new trick to use next time for my lav mic, but did not know that time. I have searched on you tube and what not and often people send me to auction and I don't know how to use that yet. I tried the Denoise effect but it didn't remove it all the way and made the audio really hot. IS there another way? I have trimmed as much as I can off front of clip as to not cut her words off, but remove a bit of the rustle. Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could treat the rustle like leave rustles. that's the only thing I can think of. learn sound model in audition or wind removal in izotope. premiere has a denoise but afaik it's not as sophisticated as audition. attach a 5 sec sound byte and also, post in the audition forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're pretty much stuck with what you got, unfortunately. Bummer.

If you get fancy and try to get rid of frequency of the shirt thing, it will effect voice enough so that you notice a pretty big difference in the voice too.

If you can segregate the shirt noise and use that as a 'sample' ( as what's called " room tone " , you can try that route...but it will also make voice sound different... might make it at least a little more acceptable to you though...

So now you know the trick of making sure lav mic doesn't get 'rubbed on' by clothes.. that's the only way to fix this stuff ..from the beginning.

( most sound people for movies etc. get the talent to take off shirt, and they tape the lav to their chest, using a tab of paper over the mic ( like a shape similar to what people used to use to pin corners of photographs into photo albums ).. and hide the lav and wire to their power unit, etc. under the costume.

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation (having to remove shirt rustle from audio).. I came across this plugin for Audition and Premiere Pro (plus many other hosts): iZotope RX 7 Audio Repair for Post Production  (check their De-Rustle example under "For Post" - it's only available with RX7 Advanced). Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you're never going to "remove" any noise that occurs over dialog, not even with very expensive tools.  However, you can reduce its impact by using the parametric equalizer.  You can pinpoint the frequencies where the rustling is taking place, and lower their gain. As long as the rustling isn't in the human vocal range, you can substantially reduce the noise.  Then with a bit of scoring (and foley as another user suggested), you can pretty much wipe it out.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi....How did you eventually solve the problem ? Also, you had mentioned, "I have found a new trick to use next time for my lav mic."

May I know what that new trick is ? Thanks .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines