• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black background with SRT closed caption 708-1 export?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped. I can export my composition to MP4 and the associated sidecar SRT file, with Include SRT Styling selected, but all I'm getting is white text on a transparent background. Completely useless with regard to readability.

The only styling attribute I have set is a black opaque background with white text. I don't want open captions or subtitles, I need closed-captions, that can be turned on and off, but they still need to be readable.

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

I found my own answer: Using the SRT sidecar file, the appearance of the captions in Windows "Movies & TV" program is controlled in Windows settings. Creating the VTT sidecar file covers it on web browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I need closed-captions, that can be turned on and off

Where will the video be played? "On and off" does not required a closed caption type stream (e.g.  608 or 708).

If you actually have a 608 or 708 caption type, I doubt any of the style options there will be included in srt on PR export. Very few are even for regular subtitles.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my own answer: Using the SRT sidecar file, the appearance of the captions in Windows "Movies & TV" program is controlled in Windows settings. Creating the VTT sidecar file covers it on web browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating the vtt file?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran it through a converter at https://www.happyscribe.com/subtitle-tools/subtitle-converter/

But the differences are simple enough that I could easily run the rest in a text editor. A simple header and a dot separator in front of the frame number instead of a comma.

vtt vs srt files.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using the following basic method for embedding the videos into a WordPress site so that the captions load.

<video src="url_to_video.mp4" poster="url_to_poster_image.jpg" preload="auto" controls="controls" width="100%" height="56%" controlslist="nodownload">
<track label="English" kind="subtitles" srclang="en" src="url_to_caption_file.vtt" />

</video>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines