• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BRAW not supported anymore in Premiere Pro?

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know why it says I cant access braw files from premiere anymore, it says I need the latest version 15.4 but CC says my 15.2 is the latest version, not sure guys, thank you

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

You are using the new "gen 5" firmware in your camera from BlackMagic, which is a complete rewrite of the code of the files. So all the other vendors have to updgrade/rewrite their code that works with the gen 5 firmware cameras. I'm still on gen 4, so BRAW plugins work fine in the shipping version.

Adobe has done that and is testing the new code in their public beta version, prior to releasing it into the shipping version. As one would hope they would do, to ensure that it works and is stable

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the new "gen 5" firmware in your camera from BlackMagic, which is a complete rewrite of the code of the files. So all the other vendors have to updgrade/rewrite their code that works with the gen 5 firmware cameras. I'm still on gen 4, so BRAW plugins work fine in the shipping version.

Adobe has done that and is testing the new code in their public beta version, prior to releasing it into the shipping version. As one would hope they would do, to ensure that it works and is stable within itself and in working with the rest of the program on all sorts of gear.

I would expect a dot-update in the next few weeks for the shipping version would include the new code. In the meantime, the public beta currently out seems pretty stable here and for many. Or you can revert your camera to the gen 4 firmware from BlackMagic for a few weeks.

As the new BlackMagic gen 5 firmware mangled peaking and focusing for many lenses, it's already been replaced by I think two dot updates by BlackMagic. However, a couple lenses I use are still on the list of lenses which the gen 5 firmware cripples autofocus. So I've not updated yet, and hope BM gets that fixed in a new update of their firmware.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pfew! Thanks @R Neil Haugen. Am I glad that I haven't updated the Pocket cameras to the latest firmware version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure to get it ..

BRAW can be imported into Premiere Pro with 2 different plugins : the BMD plugin (free) or the Autokroma BRAW Studio (paid). 

BRAW files with Gen5 can be imported with latest BMD plugin (from 2.0 version, latest is 2.1), or with the Autokroma Plugin (from 2.4.0). 

With Premiere Pro 15.2, both plugins work, so .. am I missing something here ? 

About the differences between the 2 plugins : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BlackmagicRaw-Plugin-BRAW-Studio-Difference

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, so BM's updated plugin now works with gen 5 firmware ... well, good to know.

And thanks for the presence here, Nicolas!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

As you seem knowledgable on this topic (and my issue is related), Blackmagic 2.1 is not currently working with my version of Premiere Pro 15.4. Everything was working fine until a few days ago, when Premiere started crashing frequently. I updated to the latest and greatest and, while footage loads fine in Premiere, I am unable to access any of the actual raw settings as I used to be able to do. You can see in my screenshot that, while the dashboard looks active, none of the dropdowns actually do anything. 

Anytime I try to use a drop down, there's just this long gray bar that runs the length of my monitor. If I check a LUT box, nothing happens.

I called Adobe, and they said that BRAW files cannot be loaded into PrPro (and never have) lol. I escalated the case and am still waiting for a callback.

example_frame.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worth mentioning, I am on a Windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using the crappie BlackMagic BRAW plugin, you probably need to roll back a version or two. I've even seen this mentioned on the BM provided forums for some working in Resolve.

As I use the Autokroma plugin, ain't no problem. As plugins go, it's pretty cheap. Sure not at all what I'm paying for the RedGiant Universe ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil,

Yes, I'm using the BRAW plugin. Regarding Autokroma, I've never used it though I have been seeing others mirror your sentiment. You're pretty confident that it would resolve any issue? It seems others are saying they have never had any issues with the Autokroma plugin, whereas I experience issues with BRAW by BM almost every time I use it.

I've tried rolling back several versions and have permutated almost every combination of BRAW and Premiere down to version like 14.1. I probably spent 3 hours troubleshooting this issue last week. 

I guess I'll try Autokroma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Autokroma plugin just works. Period. And at the same time, they give more options like allowing up to 10 presets you can make. And they provide good support. In fact, they are the ONLY place to go to get information about how the BM plugin works, and if it doesn't, how to fix it.

Yes, they provide support on their site for the BM plugin users ... that's how thorough they are. Doesn't cost much, never fails me.

Ever.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Neil. Last question -- do I need to uninstall the BRAW plugin, I'm assuming?

And it will be fine with 15.4? Also, is Autokroma currently working with Gen 5 or whatever color science they are using in Blackmagic cameras right now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you would need to uninstall the BM plugin before using Autokroma. Their website covers all that.

And yes, they allow both gen4 and gen5. I don't even have the firmware in my BMPCC4K for gen5 yet, but I can set that in the Autokroma plugin.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a bit late to this, but unfortunately your answer doesn't add up. 

I've been using Gen 5 BRAW with proxies in Premiere Pro for over 3 months without any issues at all.

And now suddenly, when opening Premiere there is an error that reads: 'Video Filter missing : Blackmagic BRAW'

Which has now lead to NO option at all to export out of Premiere from a timeline that uses BRAW media.

Currently, Premiere only sees the proxy files and does not see the BRAW files at all! 

So that means that Adobe just fixed something that wasn't broken. 

And perhaps Adobe has way too many customers, and wants to force some of their loyal lifelong customers over to DaVinci Resolve instead.

And if that's the case, then I can tell you that Adobe is doing a bang up job of pushing loyal customers away from them!

Oh well... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine your frustration. On this community, we (users just like yourself) are here to help you.

Have you tried updating to the latest version of the codec through the Blackmagic support site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been some issues with BRAW proxies in Resolve also ... color space especially. Proxies aren't unfortunately as always perfect as we expect. Which is ... irritating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @defaultasvxnfjp10j7 

Did you try install BRAW Studio and convert your project to use it ?

BRAW Studio has a free mode you can use without paying for a license : just download it here and install it ! (You will need to accept to uninstall the Blackmagic RAW plugin when the installer will ask you).

You will get all the features you can have in the Blackmagic RAW plugin and more. If you started a project with the Blackmagic plugin, you can convert it to use it with BRAW Studio thanks to a special tool in our BRAW Studio panel, in the Toolbox section (Top Menu -> Window -> Extensions).

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines