Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't click on the record button in premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I want to create voice overs in adobe premiere pro cc.

Only thing is I can't click on the R button (record button) when I've selected my microphone.

The microphone is working on my mac and showing in premiere. But there happens nothing when I click the record button.

I am using a Samson q2u usb microphone. Can anybody help me?

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

I had teh same roblem where the mic icon was greyed out and unable to click it. The way i solved it was by "Right-Clicking" on any of the audio tracks then selecting "Voice-Over Record Settings". From there I just selected my microphone as a source (which somehow suddenly after a Windows update was set to "None" even though the audio hardware preferences were all set properly and didn't get changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nielsdejonge,

Welcome to the Adobe forums. Try to reset the Prefernces of Premiere pro . When launching Premiere Pro from either a Mac or PC, hold down two keys while launching. This automatically throws away Premiere’s preferences.

For the Mac, press Shift+Option

For the PC, press Shift+Alt

Regards,

Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the reaction.

I tried it but it still won't work. Do you have any other ideas?

Regards,

Niels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure, you don't have marked IN and OUTPOINT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have marked in and outpoint in your sequence, voice over will not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you have missed a step. If this is too basic, please forgive me, but it is difficult to tell from your post if you have ever recorded to the timeline before.

Is it that nothing happens when you click on the record button (the button does not change) or is it that the recording does not start?

If it is just that the recording does not start, you need to:

1. Enable a track for recording by clicking on the "R button

2. Click on the Record button

3. Click on the Play button

It should start recording.

If the problem is that your microphone is not set up in Premiere Pro, then you may need to go to the Edit, Preferences, Audio Hardware, ASIO Settings, and enable your micrphone as an Input Device.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never did this before. But I mean the button ''R'' does not change, so I can't select a track when I select this microphone in preferences.

I downloaded also adobe audition and there it works in.

I also tried in premiere making a new sequence with different sample rates, which also didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your ASIO settings showing the microphone selected?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have ASIO settings. I'm working on a mac. here is a picture screen shot premiere pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who's ever gonna have the same problem. Got it fixed long time ago but wanted to shared it. I had to make the track I was recording on a mono track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...thank you! This was exactly the problem that was plaguing me.

Using Premiere CC edition, the solution was:

• Select Sequence -> Add Tracks
  • Add a new audio track - select Mono as the type

Everything works great then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had teh same roblem where the mic icon was greyed out and unable to click it. The way i solved it was by "Right-Clicking" on any of the audio tracks then selecting "Voice-Over Record Settings". From there I just selected my microphone as a source (which somehow suddenly after a Windows update was set to "None" even though the audio hardware preferences were all set properly and didn't get changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the other suggestions.  None worked.  This one from StruckTLF did! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using V8 Sound Card with your Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020 and you are also experiencing this problem, make sure that the usb connector is connected to your pc. Then go to Edit >> Preferences >> Audio hardware... >> Then choose Microphone (V8) for input, and Speakers (V8) for output. Now the microphone icon for voice over feature is no longer greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the greyed out microphone and choose the "voice-over record settings" make sure your microphone is selected there. I had this problem and in the Audio Hardware settings my microphone was selected properly but still wouldn't work. This fixed the problem though I don't know how it could be properly chosen in Audio Hardware in settings and not translate properly in the timeline... but that's that happened.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Community,

This is a very old post and some of the options and UI are not the same. To avoid further confusion in the current day and age, I'm locking this thread. Please create a new post with your current issue, if you wouldn't mind. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines