• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't delete blank space in timeline...

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, several blank spaces in a sequence are refusing to be deleted. I had a series of clips and I shortened their duration in a batch, creating blank spaces in between them. I was able to then delete most of those blank spaces, but some are resisting (some examples circled in red in the attached image). If I right click it gives me the option of "ripple delete"--except that it's greyed out. And menu items don't seem to work, either. 

Thanks in advance for any insight!skitch for premiere question.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

It's the audio presence that's the problem. So ... do you want to delete the audio also or not?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't ripple delete because there is a targeted audio track below it.

See track targeting here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/source-patching-track-targetting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I don't know anything about track targeting, I'll have a look at the link you gave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is in V3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing in V3 (which I understand as the 3rd/top layer of video). Just using V1 & V2 (and A1, A2 & A3).

Bedankt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure there is nothing in V3.

Yellow line does not seem to be interrupted as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure there is nothing in V3 (though I am a still inexperienced in Premiere). Here is another screenshot. It does seem that the problem areas have an audio track below them, while the parts where I was able to delete clips properly did *not* have audio below. 3rd skitch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the audio presence that's the problem. So ... do you want to delete the audio also or not?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for all the contributions, and as you suggest it was the audio presence that caused the problem. I deleted the audio track on A2 and was able to make the deletions/clear the empty space on the video track (V1). In this case it was ok for my project to delete the audio. So, the problem is solved for me and I'm able to continue with my project. 

For the record, I still don't understand what the specific issue was and if there was a more sophisticated solution which would have preserved the audio track (which I'm ok with!). I did take away the general lesson that a video track problem could be related to audio tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nearly ripped my hair out trying to figure this out!!!!!!! You saved my entire project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Neil said, the audio presence on A2 prevents you from ripple delete. You may disable "Sync Lock" for A2, but be aware that if you ripple delete the gaps, those audio clips on A2 will not move at all, and your audio tracks might be out of sync:

3rd skitch 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might be linked to the audio below. You may need to fiddle with checking the "link/unlink" of the clips/audio, and whether if you lock the audio you can delete the spaces, something like that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make screenshot of entire timeline: from front to back and top to bottom.

With all tracks showing.

Now its just guessing what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. Here is what I hope is a better screenshot. With the problem area circled in red.

second skitch for adobe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also fix this by toggling sync lock off (the icon to the left of the eye for visibility)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HankOMAtic, I can see on your screenshot that there is 1 music or audio track, You can just lock the music/audio track clicking on the padlock button next to that audio track. Then go ahead and delete the gap. This will take care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the solution. It really was the main problem that caused gaps not to be deleted as they wanted to stay synced to the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines