• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import HEVC-videos to Premiere Pro (2018)

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Is it just me that can't import videos from my iPhone to Premiere Pro CC (2018)? It probably has something to do with the new codec in IOS11 (HEVC).

"Code missing or unavailable".

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

HI Tosse,

• Premiere Pro CC 2018 (12.0.1) now supports QuickTime wrapped HEVC (AKA H.265) video files.
  • Note that only licensed Creative Cloud members have access to this codec.
  • Trial versions do not recognize these files, sorry.
  • If you are having trouble with import issues, create a new post, and then file a bug.
  • HEVC is not a very performant format, I would recommend you create proxies or transcode the footage at ingest.
  • Please return with any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, even users of FCP-X cannot use the codec yet.

If you are Mac based, here is way to convert the files for use in Premiere:

Fix H.265 iPhone video for Premiere Pro

First, on the iPhone, go to Settings->Photos

At the very end you should choose Automatic instead of Keep Originals

2) import the files to your mac using Image Capture

3) import from your mac hard drive to Premiere

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 2b below will solve this.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This are general guidelines, don't solve this recent issue with the new H265 format used by Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone upload a clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the automatic transfer activated on iOS when copying files to your computer, but for some reason the automatic transfer mode don't convert the HEVC files to 100% compatible format. Maybe a bug or not. At the present time, videos should be recorded in compatible format or you must use third party PC ou MAC programs to convert HEVC video files to another compatible video format that works on premier.

I've tested myself and video recorded in compatible format imports to Premier Pro CC 2018, HEVC files don't import neither HEVC files copied to PC with automatic transfer/conversion enable on iOS (I presume that same issue is present in Premier Pro CC 2018 for Mac).

Personally I recommend using ProCam 5 (https://www.procamapp.com/ ), this software is what Apple Camera App should be, and in options you can select HEIC for photos and standard format for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luis_Abreu,

this software is what Apple Camera App should be, and in options you can select HEIC for photos and standard format for video.

Glad that works for you. The native camera app can be switched to "Most Compatible" which will generate H.264 files which Premiere Pro can read. You still may need to transcode any video shot with a variable frame rate, however. That's where video camera apps can shine in comparison with the native Apple Camera App. Personally, I use FilmicPro. Works well.

FWIW, the main issue is that HEVC is not currently supported inside the .mov wrapper. Either transcode or try changing the filetype to .mp4. If you have sync issues, then definitely transcode to an intermediate codec. You actually should do that anyway.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to Kevin-Monahan,

" Glad that works for you. The native camera app can be switched to "Most Compatible" which will generate H.264 files which Premiere Pro can read."

This is the worst answer I've ever seen. New devices come with new technology. I can't believe Adobe is asking us to switch back to old technology H.264 to be compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Adobe Premiere PRO should support HEVC video files from iOS devices. It is absolutely wrong to ask us not to shoot in H.265 format with our iPhone.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  support iOS H.265 video in Adobe Premiere PRO (it's PRO right?)

It does not make sense to convert H.265 files to any other compatible formats before importing. It does not make any sense to turn H.265 off in our iPhones either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim427,

This is the worst answer I've ever seen.

Sorry you feel that way. I provided a solution which could be used for the time being—a workaround. To describe a workaround that actually works is "the worst answer" you've ever seen, fine. I'm only trying to help.

We who are assisting customers in the forums are not developers, we provide solutions to existing issues. If you want to complain about a feature that you would like to see, or have a problem with an existing workflow, please direct your commentary to the product team by filing a bug or feature request. Thank you.

Adobe Premiere PRO should support HEVC video files from iOS devices. It is absolutely wrong to ask us not to shoot in H.265 format with our iPhone.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  support iOS H.265 video in Adobe Premiere PRO (it's PRO right?)

This is a new feature in 12.0.1, please update. If it is not working for you, kindly file a bug.

It does not make sense to convert H.265 files to any other compatible formats before importing.

Creating proxies or transcoding H.265 footage is actually a pretty normal pro workflow that I would highly recommend. H.265 footage is incredibly non-performant LongGOP footage that is notoriously difficult to edit with. The latest version does support the import of H.265 footage, but I do recommend creating proxies or transcoding all footage in that codec, especially if it's 4K or larger and you don't have a super top-flight system. Try it if you'd like a smoother editing experience.

It does not make any sense to turn H.265 off in our iPhones either.

Sorry, there was no other choice prior to Premiere Pro CC 2018 (12.0.1). We've addressed this issue. Thanks for your concern.

Please return with any questions you may have.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, just batch rename files from .mov to .mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, but the video had been trimmed in the iPhone. Sound didn’t sync with video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you need to convert the files to constant framerate with Handbrake first before bringing it into Premiere.

HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Ann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This sorted my issue - renaming from .mov to .mp4 helped, but the video was still juttery in Premiere until I converted in Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "changed the filetype to mp4" and it worked. (per Kevin-Monahan of Adobe)

Thanks Kevin, I was almost frustrated..lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too after trying to import, clicking to add the codec and failing three times to import. *facepalm*

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh gosh, thank you so much - I was over here like "What gives, I am pretty sure I had imported HEVC into Premiere before, and it exports HEVC!" Turns out that the source was in MKV - didn't even think about it. It is a pretty bad tease that Adobe shows you all file types when you go to import, then gives you some random error when you actually import something in an unsupported container. I am honestly not sure why the container matters - it supports MKV, it supports HEVC, it just doesn't support HEVC in MKV.  Demuxing the MKV into an MP4 stream allowed me to import it into Premiere without rerendering the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not support mkv, but some users can import such a file without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Canon XF705 camcorder.  Like DSLRs it will do LOW color data = H.264 4:2:0 (8 bit) files - BUT - it also produces '10 bit' 1080 & 4k UHD HIGH color data = H.265 4:2:2 (10 bit) files.  The NEW codec is XF-HEVC H.265 and it's wrapped as an MXF (like all the Canons).  Those XF-HEVC H.265 are the files I need to use!  Come on Adobe?

Sadly, Premiere CC2019 (latest revision) CAN NOT IMPORT these XF-HEVC H.265 files yet - so Adobe DOES NOT support XF-HEVC H.265.

I have called adobe several times and they say they are working on it...  it's very frustrating!

I guess I should shoot using a phone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the mxf extension to mpg and they will import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just shot hours on the fantastic Canon XF705, took the hevc 4k footage and changed to .m4v...loaded into media encoder and it converted to h264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommend you transcode it to ProRes LT, or GoPro Cineform. Much better codecs to edit with.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the filetype to m4v, not mp4 it will work with new iOS videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Costaz  wrote

If you change the filetype to m4v, not mp4 it will work with new iOS videos

This trick worked for me. I'm on macOS Sierra. Dragging the H.265 .mov file directly into Adobe Media Encoder 2018 caused this error:

screenshot_1541.jpg

But after I renamed that file with the .m4v extension, I could drag it into Media Encoder — which alerted me that I had to install the HEVC codec first:

screenshot_1540.png

Smooth sailing after that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You need to run the program Adobe Premiere 2015 or later (if the program version you need never run before)

2. Perhaps you need to re-login to Adobe ID and restart the programm, if you see the message when importing that HEVC is available by subscription.

see Re: Error Import & encode HEVC files in Media Encoder CC 2017

After i renamed file .mov -> .mp4 i had error, but after renaming to .m4v I have successfully imported the file to Media Encoder 2015 or later (and Premiere)

And then MP4 successfully added too, but not original MOV !!!!

This guide is relevant for Windows and MAC. I tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines