• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions timeline slowing computer to a crawl

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the early stages of editing a large doco using the Productions workflow, edit station 1 has a smokingly fast new computer with M1 Max Chip and 64 gig of unified RAM. We are editing a 4k project using ProRes Proxies. When I open a large timeline with interview content containig captions the computer suddenly slows to a crawl, with the wheel of death going on and off as the computer tries to catch up with each click, completely unusable. On Edit station 2, I can open up the same timeline and scrub all across the same proxie media including captions with lightning fast responsivenes. Edit station 2 is a Macmini with M1 chip and only 16gig of RAM.

We have deleted all the cashe media several times. If I delete the captions from the timeline then the computer immediately functions normally again and scrubs and plays as expected. Strange thing is we are certain the new computer was working just fine and this problem has developed?

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Known issue that does not appear to affect all users, but that may be workflow related. In part, it is difficult to standardize "how large is large." How many captions result in the problem kicking in, or is that even the issue?

Workarounds are to disable the caption track (when not needed, for example; may allow editing the text, but not moving on timeline), open only one sequence with captions at a time, zoom in so fewer captions show, and work in the Program Monitor rather than the Text Panel. 

Does your less capable computer work better because fewer captions are showing? 

See this thread and upvote the bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/slow-performance-with-subtitles-premiere-202...

Also this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/large-number-of-captions-locking-up-premiere...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines