• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change in Mask Opacity changes Entire Video Opacity, not the mask

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a single rectangle mask to a video (no other masks). I could see the video inside the rectangle, but not outside (expected).

I want this mask to fade in, so I set keyframes, then set the first keyframe to 0% opacity. The video inside the mask  disappeared. As if I was changing the actual video opacity. I double-checked. I was changing the mask opacity.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

I have the same problem too. Its a bug they have to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To what effect have you added the mask? If it is to the standard opacity effect what you are seeing is correct. The mask opacity changes what is within the mask. For the standard opacity effect, changing the clip opacity does the same thing. If you had added the mask to. say, lumitry, the mask opactiy would dim inside the mask, and the standard opacity would dim the whole picture. I hope this makes sense.

If you want to just fade in the mask effect you could cut the clip and do a disolve from the complete video to the mask version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the reply. But this is just an opacity mask. I watched this video that was trying to do a similar task

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHk0BoiDu70

They don't want the mask to do its job until a certain point. The same as if I didn't want an overlaying video to show until a certain point. I should be able to set a keyframe on the opacity of the object, in this case the mask, and it doesn't take effect until its opacity is above zero.

I have a widescreen video. I want to crop to the center where the person is talking, then move this cropped (masked) video to the left, to show other things on the right of the sequence.

I planned on masking the video, at a certain point, with keyframes. 

How would I add a mask part way through a video, if I can't add a keyframe changing the masks opacity?

If you read here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/masking-tracking.html

from Adobe's help section under the subheading "Adjust mask opacity", it describes exactly what I want.

"As you lower the opacity, more of the area under the mask becomes visible."

I am experiencing the opposite. As I lower the opacity, the video within the mask becomes invisible, rather than the video outside the mask becoming visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I think the programmer has dyslexia.  I created a mask and it masked out the inside of the mask as wanted.  Then I go to change the percentage of this mask and it only changes the opasity of everything accept the mask.

This is not right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and I agree the programers might have dyslexia, this has worked on other projects why do I have this issue now? is it because I put a number in the title????? this shouldnt be happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too. Its a bug they have to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too. its a bug they have to fix this but I found a workaround. Use the Alpha Adjust effect. Copy and paste your mask into the effect. Check the box saying Invert Alpha and you're done. change the opacity of the mask under that effect and it will work as you intend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same problem.  The fix was so simple -- I added a mask around the entire frame set to "add."  Then, when I did my little shape specific masks within the frame that were set to "subtract," it worked perfectly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines