Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Change to color effect missing

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry if this is obvious as I am new to Premiere but I am trying to use the change to color effect in premiere but when i search through my effects panel the effect itself does not come up. Was this effect removed from an update in premiere? 

I have the latest version of the app and I am working on a 2020 MacBook with the M1 chip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annelise,

Sorry for the confusion. Check the "Obsolete" folder in Effects. That said, I think that the effect may not have been retained in the M1 version of Premiere Pro. You can try Rosetta mode for your computer if you really need it.

The alternative is secondary color correction, which can take more time to set up along with new skills to master. Sometimes a simple effect is a better choice, though, so let the team know your ideas here: Premiere Pro User Voice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has this essential effect been deleted?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to second this statement. This was an incredibly useful tool that has been removed.

Numerous forum posts asking why it's disappeared just goes to show why it has no place in the 'obsolete' folder. 

I'm on M1 Mac. Guess that's it then. Thanks. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was removed because the code and the math involved in the effect were both ancient. Andd needed to be completely redone. And they felt the HSL secondary in the Lumetri panel could already do that job.

I work with a lot of colorists on a daily basis. Their testing of many of the effects in the "obsolete" folder indicated issues with the underlying math. This was back even before the obsolete folder was even created.

The colorists were getting 'broken' frames of video from their clients using Premiere. Who at times would try to "help" the colorist by doing part of the job themselves, and well ... the colorists were trying to figure out why those shots had bad bits in them. So they tested the effects their clients used ... and were rather critical of the math in them.

Most editors of course don't test their media for issues created in effects nearly to the level colorists do. So the editors don't 'see' the defects induced by some effects or the way they apply the effect. Doesn't mean it ain't there, though.

It is handy at times to be able to apply a simply single-job effect rather than a full-blown tool like the Lumetri panel, true. So Kevin's comment is the one to your point: search the UserVoice for others wanting that type of tool, and upvote. Add specific detailed comments for the reasoning and use!

The UserVoice is the one place we user can get the metrics created that the upper-level M&E people use when making the decisions for what they tell the devs team to do. Use it.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

It is a long time since I was able to employ a colorist.

The change to color effect is essential for targeted matching to colors in the Brand Guidlines

My M1 mac slows to a snail’s pace when I add the Lumetri panel…

[Removed by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally understood.

But again, I was just giving the 'raw data' on why it was dumped. And how to attempt to get a replacement created. For the work to get done, someone up the line must see a recognizable, quantifiable need. And those people use metrics to get their "quantifiers".

UserVoice is the only way we users can directly create the metrics those folks "see". This forum being meant as user-to-user 'help'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said by Kevin-Monahan : 

let the team know your ideas here: Premiere Pro User Voice.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines