• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color/grading/contrast is not the same when I export my video

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that I grade my footage in premiere, but then when I export the video the grade is completely off. It's like it looses constrast and colors. 

on the left is a JPEG screen grab out of premiere of the shot. and on the right is the exported video. 

What is going on and how do I fix this

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.20.44 AM 1.png

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Download thi Gamma compensation LUT and apply it on export

https://assets.adobe.com/public/a0b635a3-6bc3-452b-5f7d-c997b9b36cf5

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you are using a Mac? If so, then ... the issue is that Apple chose to apply their own unique version of "Rec.709" within their ColorSync color management utility. And there really is no "fix", but only options for working around or ignoring the differences between Apple and everything else.

Within PrPro on a Mac, always set the preferences option for "display color management" checked, so it's active. This will tell PrPro to check the ICC profile for the monitor, and remap the 'internal' monitors within PrPro to show a correct Rec.709 image.

Outside of PrPro on a Mac, any 'color managed' (meaning they allow ColorSync to tell them how to show media) app like most browsers and QuickTime player, the exported file will be shown incorrectly. Why? Because the Mac ColorSync version of "Rec.709" doesn't apply both required transform functions, it only applies the camera or 'scene' transform. It doesn't apply the also required (by the standard) display transform.

And further, the ColorSync utility will use a gamma between 1.96 or 1.95 (depending on who's measuring) rather than the standard Rec.709 gamma of 2.4 for dim-room viewing, or 2.2 for bright-room viewing.

The "gamma compensation LUT" that Adobe provides for exports on a Mac will make the image darker, and outside PrPro but color managed by ColorSync, the file will look 'correct'. However, on all standards-compliant systems and most PCs and TVs, the file will be dark and over-saturated.

I would mention that no one alters their streaming service or network settings for ColorSync. So anything you see on that monitor from other professional services is also showing the same issues as you see from exporting out of PrPro on your Mac. But you don't see the "original" so you aren't aware that the pro-produced media you're seeing on that system is off the same amount.

I work daily with pro colorists, and teach pro colorists how to color-correct/grade in Premiere Pro. Most of them are of course total Mac people, NONE grade on a Mac screen, and they all are vexed by clients who don't view their work on a properly color managed screen because they're typically using Macs.

The one exception, and used by a number of colorists: some iPads models allow the user to turn off a couple settings and tweak a couple others, and can be tweaked to show a very similar Rec.709 image to what the colorists are seeing on their Flanders or Eize Grade 1 Reference monitors, calibrated via expensive spectroradiometers, and run from a LUT generated by calibration software and set in either the monitor itself or in a breakout/in-out device like the cards from AJA and BlackMagic.

And their grading monitors are always connected by that i/o device, never by the GPU. This is to get a "clean" signal out of the system that the OS can't mess with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try viewing your export in a non-ColorSync compatible program like VLC or Firefox. This should show the footage correctly. 

There will always be issues, as a proper video say uploaded to YouTube then shown in Safari will still have the shift on a Mac, but will be correct in Windows or for users who are using Firefox.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea. Color management ... or more likely manglement ... across platforms & apps is a right royal pain.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this very detailed reply, it means a lot and has helped me. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can componsate for gamma shifts and slight color shifts during export with a LUT or adjustment layer. I prefer to use an adjustment layer as seen in the video below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evan Anthony is a colorist I get to 'talk' with at times, and respect. He's got some steps he recommends to his Mac based clients that can help a lot to get the Mac monitors closer to an actual Rec.709 image. So with his permission I'm posting his advice here.

Neil

From  colorist Evan Anthony

For MacBook Pro & iMac:  (might vary depending on year built)
1. Open up System Preferences and then choose Displays
2. Disable Automatic Brightness switch if available
3. Click Color and set  Display profile to Rec. 709 Gamma 2.4
4. Disable True Tone switch if available
5. Click on the Night Shift tab and choose the option to Turn off Until Tomorrow
6. Set screen brightness to approximately 45%-55% 
    (can go higher/lower as needed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download thi Gamma compensation LUT and apply it on export

https://assets.adobe.com/public/a0b635a3-6bc3-452b-5f7d-c997b9b36cf5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but then depedning on where you deliver it to you will have the wrong gamma on it, like a Windows machine or someone using VLC or Firefox on a Mac.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This link isn't working... Is there a way to find this link manually in adobe website? I'm having trouble finding it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines