• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copies vs Instances of Graphics

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to finally transition away from Premiere Pro's Legacy Titles, but I'm having trouble getting used to the "Essential Graphics".

In general I find it confusing that Graphics behave differently than clips, and my main questions at the moment are:

• Where can I get an overview of all graphics used in a Project ? The Graphics I've created are not in the Project panel. (But the "Upgraded" graphics Premiere creates automatically, are there!)
  • How can I create a second instance of a Graphic, so that if I edit one instance, all the instances will be modified? If I Alt-Drag a graphic in the timeline, this will create an independent copy, i.e. that will be edited independently from the first.
TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Wrapping up the various answers, for a complete picture:

- All Graphics used in the active sequence will be visible in the "Text" panel/windos, under "Graphics.
- If you create a Graphic from scratch, it won't be visible in the Project panel, and if you Alt-drag, this will create an independet copy in the timeline.

- Once a graphic is selected, from the "Graphics and Titles" menu, you can "Convert to Source Graphics". This will add the item to the Project Bin, and you can use the same graphic sever

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For general work, you need to (unfortunately in my view) need to learn to organize your mogrts with the Local Folders and the CC Libraries options. It can be made to work. Then you can store your graphics where you can find them fairly easily.

The "upgraded" graphics (as you call them) that are stored in the Project panel are the ones that will over-write all other uses of that graphic in the project when changed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanky for your reply.

I really need to handle stuff from within the Project.

I've seen now that there's the "Text" panel, which can display all the graphics used in the current sequence. That's a start.

But, for example, if I have the name of an interviewee 3 times in different places in my edit, I need to be able to edit one of those instances, and all three of them should upgrade. How can I achieve this, starting from scratch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use MOGRT in a project, then you can use it as many times on the timeline as you want, while you can rename each of them and the changes will not affect neighboring copies. If you need the graphics you created to be changed in all copies on the timeline (for example, a die with the speaker's name), you put your graphics in NEST and when you copy and place them in any other place on the timeline, changes in one of them will lead to similar changes in the others. That is, in this case, you need to make changes in one NEST with graphics embedded in it and all similar copies in the project will automatically apply the changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't handle graphics from the Project panel, period. It's not built to do that.

Which is why you use the Graphics Workspace, the EGP, for organizing graphics now. It's just the way this is built.

Baffy's got one way of going about the process you're asking about.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used have to convert the graphics into master graphics to be used in the bin but they are called something else now. It can still be done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They now call them "Source Graphics" ... whatever.

And the option is found ... when a graphic is selected on a sequence ... in the Graphics and Titles menu of the main PrPro menu bar.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. That's the missing piece. Thank you.
I'll wrap things up in one single answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrapping up the various answers, for a complete picture:

- All Graphics used in the active sequence will be visible in the "Text" panel/windos, under "Graphics.
- If you create a Graphic from scratch, it won't be visible in the Project panel, and if you Alt-drag, this will create an independet copy in the timeline.

- Once a graphic is selected, from the "Graphics and Titles" menu, you can "Convert to Source Graphics". This will add the item to the Project Bin, and you can use the same graphic several times
From the Premiere Help:

Source Graphics are modern essential graphics that work in a similar way to Legacy Titles: 

• They have a project item.
  • You can track usage through the metadata column for Video Usage.
  • Edits made to the project item or an associated track item will ripple through all track items.

- If you Alt-Drag a Source Graphics, it will be duplicated, creating a new copy of it in the Project Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe has done a lot of cool things with the Essential Graphics but like you I still prefer the Old Legacy Titler better. I have not upgraded in over 6 months because I still need the old Legacy Titler. Perhaps in another 6 months I will make the jump. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines