• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cpu at 100% while gpu at 0%

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, don't want to waste your time with long useless words so let's get straight to the point - thank you

While using Premiere Pro only my cpu gets utilized(it gets to 100 percent while exporting a basic 720 video) and my gpu sits there and do absolutely nothing(something around 0 and 15% utilization).

and for some reason 99% of the time I'm only limited to use software encoding while exporting my videos. 

I'm using cuda in project settings and Nvidia encoding in the media section of the settings

heres my system specs:

latest stable window 11

latest Nvidia studio ready driver

latest Premiere Pro 

rtx 2060

i7 11700kf with aio

Samsung 980 ssd

every help and tip is appreciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It helps if you know what the different hardware bits are used for within Premiere. And that 'hardware' and 'software' acceleration actually refer to two, completely different, processes.

The CPU is the main processing unit used. The GPU is an assistant for specific purposes. They are not 'co-equal' at all. The math in each is completely different, so you have to code specifically for CPU or GPU processing.

The GPU in Premiere is used for those things on the GPU Accelerated Effects List ... mostly things that involve resizing and/or color work. Such as Warp Stabilizer, Lumetri color, some others. It is not normally used much for basic decoding during playback, for instance. Unless there's GPU accelerated stuff going on, and the GPU will be used for those things, as the CPU calls for processing on specific things from the GPU.

The two types of 'hardware' and 'software' acceleration are the above-mentioned GPU acclerated (coded) effects for one. The other is long-GOP decoding/encoding which only refers to the use of specially designed chips in your system built for H.264/5 work.

And for that second terminology usage, this depends on whether your computer has the right chips in it for that process. Many don't, some do. In your Preferences, one of the tabs has a pair of options to enable hardware processing of H.264 and H.265 encoding and decoding.

So if you are doing an mp4 export, for instance, a long-GOP codec, you will see in the Export dialog summary a statement for either 'hardware encoding' or 'software encoding' ... and the Export dialog summary NEVER refers to whether or not your export will involve the GPU. ONLY whether or not you have 1) the proper chips in your computer and 2) the option to use them turned on.

If both are 'true', then you get 'hardware encoding' in the Export dialog summary. If either is not true, you get the phrase 'software encoding' there ... and again, this has nothing whatever to do with your GPU.

If in your Project settings dialog, you have the option for Mercury Acceleration, typically CUDA (Nvidia GPUs) or Metal (AMD GPUs on Macs). If you can set an option there, then your GPU will be used for those things which a GPU is used for in Premiere, and as the CPU sends data to the GPU.

I hope that fills in some details for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines