• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a Mogrt with an automated blur adjustment layer?

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a broadcast package, and it requires animating a blur over the background underneath the title animation.
In After Effects, everything looks great, but as soon as I export the Mogrt to Premiere, only the title animation works.
The adjustment layer to blur the background is apparently not recognised.  
My suspicion is that the Essential Graphics Mogrt is rendered as an autonomous clip, therefore ignoring any adjustment layers that would apply to footage outside of the Mogrt.

Since this Mogrt is to be distributed to and used by several different production companies, having them animate the blur in Premiere themselves is NOT an option, as this would result in random and different end results, depending on how they feel fit to apply the blur.

Is there a way to automate this process, preferably linked to the timing of the Mogrt?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Its true... an adjustment layer INSIDE a Mogrt will not work on a video track OUTSIDE the Mogrt in PR. Tiny Inception AE nested within Premiere to render Mogrts can't "see" what's outside the Mogrt. 

The ability to feed the Mogrt custom media so that Adjustment Layers and Effects from within the Mogrt will apply to the footage is currently the most requested feature. I can't really say more than that 😉 but to say that we're LISTENING. I will have more news for you in the coming months that will

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating question, I've never thought of trying to add an AL to a mogrt in Ae. I'm asking around about how to accomplish this, as it would be great to learn how to do this myself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried several tests, and each time the Adjustement Layer is ignored in the Mogrt.
It definitely would be a great addition to have Premiere recognise these, as it would also allow for the correct interaction of i.e automated color adjustments, animated masks, etc.
I'll upload a quick test Mogrt and its original AE file here in a minute, so people can try it out for themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a ZIP with the test AE file and resulting Mogrt.
It's just a simple Fast Box blur animated off over time (02:00 to 03:00).
Test File 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I just asked this question myself last week on the AE forums, as I'm doing something similar as you. While I didn't test it as a MOGRT yet, I tested it as a Dynamic Link and that didn't work (and I'd assume that DL would be the most 1:1 option available)

I interpreted that answer as, no it can't be done, unfortunately. It doesn't seem like adjustment layer effects can passthrough (a la collapse transformation). 

Would be a great feature for an upcoming AE/PR release. In the meantime I think my plan is to just save either a PR Graphic Template (if Adjustment Layers can be saved into a PR MOGRT) that I apply as a third layer (so from top to bottom: AE MOGRT, PR MOGRT (Adjustment), VIDEO). Or just save as an Effects Preset in Premiere and apply to the Video. Still haven't decide what I'll do yet, but there are some options at least, despite them being not as intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its true... an adjustment layer INSIDE a Mogrt will not work on a video track OUTSIDE the Mogrt in PR. Tiny Inception AE nested within Premiere to render Mogrts can't "see" what's outside the Mogrt. 

The ability to feed the Mogrt custom media so that Adjustment Layers and Effects from within the Mogrt will apply to the footage is currently the most requested feature. I can't really say more than that 😉 but to say that we're LISTENING. I will have more news for you in the coming months that will bring joy to Mogrtlandia. 

For now, you have to pack the footage in the Mogrt itself... which is not ideal. But you could hook up a couple of media options to a Dropdown Expression Control and give your editor a couple of options to choose from. 

Cheers,

Dacia

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for popping in, Dacia!

For those who don't know, she's one of the most knowledgeable staffers on mogrts in Adobe-land. And capable of thinking outside anyone's box with ease ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dacia!!
Great news if this is in the pipeline! YAY !!

So as a current workaround, is there a way to create a timed gaussian blur (similar as an adjustment layer) that I could provide to the operators?
Or maybe a possibility to see Markers (set in the AE comp, applied to the Mogrt clip view, possibly with info on them) so the operators know where to start/stop the blur?
Currently the only way I can think off is to write a comment in the Essential Graphics pane, telling them the IN and OUT point of the underlaying blur, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! It's the year 2023

3 years after this comment. It does say you guys are listening so im wondering if a solution was implemented ?? I have an up coming project that needs this exact solution and was wondering if Adobe has stuck to its promise and delivered a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Dacia's November 2020 follow up below

Exciting news update!!
Its now possible to add videos to the Mogrt from within PR so that any of your effects and blend modes will be applied to the video you feed the Mogrt.

This feature is now in public beta in AE and Premiere Pro.

Here’s more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akp8aXF-iwM&feature=youtu.be

Let us know what you think!

By @DaciaSaenz 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, just wondering if there are any behind-the-scenes updates on this. It's been a couple years! I just tried my own test of an adjustment layer within Mogrt, and no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really stupid and didn't read the whole thread before my comment. And apparently I can't delete it now. Ok thanks bye 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exciting news update!!
Its now possible to add videos to the Mogrt from within PR so that any of your effects and blend modes will be applied to the video you feed the Mogrt.

This feature is now in public beta in AE and Premiere Pro.

Here’s more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akp8aXF-iwM&feature=youtu.be

Let us know what you think!

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Dacia, that's pretty awesome ... and much needed!

Now if we had a set of selectable shapes ... sigh. 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWESOME !!! Can't wait to try this out !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dacia!
As AE adjustment layers still don't work on MOGRTS in Pr in 2024, I tried to use replacement media to replace the media (with all of the effects and animations needed) with a Pr adjustment media but to no avail.
Is there any way I can have a MOGRT work as an adjustment layer in Pr?
Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines