Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete a mask

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running PP 13.1.4 (Build 2) Mac

I'm trying to work out how to delete a mask.  Here's the scenario, quite simple:

I've added some text onto a clip.  I've clicked that text and then, in Effects Control, clicked the box icon ("Create 4-point polygon mask").  The mashk appears as a box over my text.

How do I go ahead and delete that mask now?

I can click it and hit the delete key til the cows come home; or I can select "Mask 1" in  Effects Control and hit the delete key all I like.  It ain't going anywhere.  I've Googled and searched but I guess my search terms are the problem.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Spoke to Adobe.  They can replicate the issue.  Appears to be a bug which the guy has reported.  A colleague running 13.1.2 13.1.3 can delete masks with the Delete key so I'll roll back to that.

I was told I'll need to export my projects in 13.1.4 as XML before opening in 13.1.2 13.1.3

Edit: struck out and corrected text

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

This issue should be fixed in Premiere Pro 14.0, which was released today.

More information on issues fixed in 14.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke to Adobe.  They can replicate the issue.  Appears to be a bug which the guy has reported.  A colleague running 13.1.2 13.1.3 can delete masks with the Delete key so I'll roll back to that.

I was told I'll need to export my projects in 13.1.4 as XML before opening in 13.1.2 13.1.3

Edit: struck out and corrected text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i believe its a bug when a mask is applied to graphics layers only,

you can't delete it. you can only delete masks applied to clips, not graphics or text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete button does not work but right click clear works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested right-click > clear and it doesn't work for me in 13.1.4.  The Adobe rep took control of the screen to confirm delete button and r-click > clear doesn't work. Then went off to test it on their setup and confirmed the same.

So I did what the guy said; saved my projects as Final Cut XML files so I'd be able to open them in a rolled back version.

Rolled back to 13.1.3 and did a dummy test to find delete key and clear both work.  Then loaded the XMLs in and saved them out as project files fo this now version 13.1.3. 

However, contrary to what the Adobe rep said, my files did not retain all their attributes.  My transitions are all screwed now; components are in the wrong places while their sister components are in the right place.  Not worth going and re fixing everything so I'll go back to v13.1.4 and put up with it.

Happy days, Adobe.  Oh and I see our yearly subscription prices are going up while at the same time, us paying customers are, once again, Beta testers for each released version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok: add another mask and right click on mask in the EC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS: i still use High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create as many masks as I like in Effects Controls.  The only way to remove them is Command-Z.  There must be some correlation between my Mac and the one the Adobe rep was using for him to be able to replicate what I'm experiencing; and what he sy when he did a remote desktop into my Mac.

OS is Mojave 10.14.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been reproduced internally and is being worked on. Thank you for the report and all the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TrentHappel

Thank you.  Yes, the Adobe rep I spoke with on the phone was able to replicate it also.

I'd be interested to know, in the interim, how to roll back and retain my attributes / transitions without them being borked.  As mentioned above, I followed the guidance of the rep on the phone; saved my Project(s) as Final Cut XML files, rolled back to 13.1.3 and loaded the XML.  Unfortunately, my text captions (I'd used the built in captions) were messed up - elements appearing in the wrong place, half off screen etc.

While this issue is being worked on at your end, would you mind elaborating on how to roll back to the previous minor revision without messing up elements in text captions?

Thank you.

Scott

Edit: in an earlier post I'd said "transitions" were being screwed up.  That should have read "elements in my text captions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are options in 13.1.4 to negate the mask that may work for you, so you may not have to go back to an earlier version of Premiere Pro.

1) (if you don't need the effect that you masked) In the Effect Controls panel, delete that one effect. This will delete effect and its mask.

1a) In the Effect Controls panel, click on the "fx" icon to the left of the effect that the mask was created under. This will disable the effect and the mask created under it.

1b) You could also try Remove Attributes and check the effect that has a mask. This will remove just that one effect along with it's mask.

2) (if you need effect that you masked) Select the Mask in the Effects Controls panel and expand the mask points of the mask to the outside corners of the visible frame in the Program Monitor. Basically nothing visible is masked now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening with the most up to date version 2.18.22. It may be related to mask presets? Any updates or help I can get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mid October and this still hasn't been fixed. Can we have an update please??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which number-dot-number version of Premiere are you using?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in Premiere Pro 14.0, which was released today.

More information on issues fixed in 14.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Premiere 14.6 - SUPER ANNOYING! Also, a mask I had tracked, then changed and deleted all keyframes wouldn't track again. Had to delete the clip, draw new mask and track again. 14.6 is a huge mess of an update!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixed as of 02/24/2021 on Premiere Pro 14.9.0 on Mac OS Big Sur version 11.1 (2017 Macbook Pro for what it's worth). Super frustrating that I can't do something as simple as deleting a mask after creating one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 2022, still have this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2022, still have the issue.

Why do we try lol adobe really just does not care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't common ... and it's maddening some users get it occasionally. I can right-click a mask, "Cut", and it's gone, no trouble. I do that several times a day. I think there's been a couple different things that have been at issue causing the same 'symptom' ... so it's been fixed but then something else causes more mask issues.

Why this is still affecting some, that's ... a bummer. Post full details of your OS/hardware over on their Premiere Pro UserVoice system, as that's where the engineer's get the information as to what is problematic.

And do give full details so it's useful ... would be nice to get this nailed down.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So crazy fix for me on a windows machine. Used the windows key and L to lock the session. Entered in again with password then tried to delete the mask again and it worked. Tried this multiple times and has worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

recently tried creating two masks and deleting em and it worked 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines