• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete parts of video clip permanently in PP 2023

Contributor ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I transfer video files from my cameras to my computer I load all of the content onto an external drive.  I then move it all onto an internal drive.  Sometimes say 90% of a clip is unusable for whatever reason.  I would like to be able to completely delete that content from the clip so that it doesn't take up space on the internal drive.

I know how to create subclips from video clips in Premiere Pro 2023 but that doesn't delete the unwanted content off the master clip of course.  I'm sure that there is a VERY simple answer I just can't find it.

Thank you folks.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the simplest way is to export your trimmed clips and use the exports as your masters going forward.  If you're lucky, your original clips are one of the codecs Premiere can smart render so there is no quality change.

If you've already used the clips in a sequence you would need to go the slightly more complicated Project Manger consolidate route:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/copy-consolidate-transcode-archive-project.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  The clips are from a GoPro Hero 9 usually in 4K 25fps.

I am learning about the smart rendering now.  Do you know why, for example, I can open

a 500Mb .wav file in Audition and select almost all of it on the timeline, delete that section and save it. The file is now 5.34Mb in size and it is still a .wav file.

Using Premiere Pro with an MP4 file I can go through the same process as above but when I save the file I no longer have an MP4 file. I have a sequence with a .prproj file extension which I now have to export through Media Encoder for example to MP4 to return to a file with the original extension.

It seems that you no longer have a clip with precisely the same specs, for want of a better word.  I will follow your advice but just interested to know ... why.... I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's easy. In Audition you are normally saving ... exporting ... a file a new file. Although, you can do destructive editing in Audition also. Simply because it is something that typically has been allowed in sound editing apps.

It is best not to, but ... you can. (The devs are unhappy about it, but must allow it.)

You also get an sesx file, which is the project file form for Audition.

In Premiere you are confusing the project file with an export to a new file. The project file is simply the metadata of the project data ... what media was imported, the meta of the media, and meta of all the steps you've taken, sequences created, effects applied, everything.

It IS NOT a media file.

Like with Audition, you export a file from the work you've done within the program on your sequences. Although again, as noted, in Audition with certain processes, you can do work that is destructive of the original file.

Premiere, as an NLE, will not do work destructive of the original files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should use Shutter Encoder:

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

It's free, though it's author deserves a contribution. It's a great program, and you can "Cut without re-encoding" Which does exactly what you are asking for. Cut out the section you want to keep, or cut away the sections you want to remove. And all without quality loss. Check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's oft called "re-muxing" and is something that ffmpeg, ShutterEncoder, a couple other apps can do it.

I agree with MyerPJ on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant.  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines