• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to import 4:3 DVCAM footage via SONY DSR 40?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to import 4:3 DVCAM footage via SONY DSR 40?

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have iLink/FireWire on your computer, you can patch iLink from the Sony DSR40 and then use File > Capture... in Premiere Pro to capture your tapes.  The resutling files with be DV-NTSC 720-by-480 non-square pixels full frame (4:3) interlaced footage (480i60 or 576i50) requireing about 13GB per hour.  I don't recall if the Sony DSR40 had a widescreen mode, but it's possible for DV to widescreen with 16-by-9 squeezed into 4-by-3 instead of being full frame.

If your computer has Thunderbolt 1 or 2, you can use Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire800 adapter.  If your computer has Thunderbolt 3 or 4, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire800 adapter with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

You might find an inexpensive FireWire PCI card if you have a tower with an available slot.

If your computer happens to be an M1 based Mac, you'll need to launch Premire Pro using Rosetta.

If you already have analog video input of some sort, you can always patch that instead of iLink, but that should be last resort.  Your goal should be a digital to digital transfer via FireWire - even if you have to go with a used Mac with a native FireWire prot to do it or a used Windows machine with native iLink port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your answer.  I'n out dsr40 via DV port then in imsv pro 2017.  I've used this set up for years with no problems.  The lastest version of Premiere Pro 2022 iwll not let me digitize footage, in fact it blows up and I have to do a hard boot to get the machine back up,  Currently I'm forced to use iMovie or Quicktime.  It's maddening.  I've been on adobe pro for hours and they are clueless.  Anywqay, just wanted to thnk you for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines