• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Premiere need a driver require a special setting to capture from tape using a Sony DSR-11 deck?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a DSR-11 connected to a Mac (Thunderbolt 3 native) using the following:

• A Firewire800 cable
• A Firewire800 to Thunderbolt 1/2 Adaptor
• A Thunderbolt 1/2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adaptor.

With this setup the MacBook can control and record using iMovie.
Premiere, however, can only control the deck, but can't capture video or monitor timecode.

Does Premiere need a driver require some special setting to make capturing fully functional?
TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

@John V Knowles Thanks for you insight, apologies for the slow reply.  I've been using iMovie, which has been good enough for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't list your MacOS version but if you have a Thunderbolt 3 model then we can assume it's a pretty recent OS (Catalina/Big Sur/Monterrey). The issue is that Apple actually deprecated the DV/Firewire capture protocol (that's not the right terminology but that's how I'm naming it); Premiere still has that option but it doesn't work as well as it used to. You've seen that it works in iMovie and it will also work in Quicktime, but beyond that the support is limited. Capturing DV now in Premiere is just a pain and it will not improve. So to be honest you can use the other apps to capture otherwise you'll just be tearing your hair out trying to get it to work. I've even resorted to using an older Mac and OS so that I can run Final Cut Pro 7 to capture DV from my DSR-11, and it works great. Just make like 2009 and you'll have no problems. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@John V Knowles Thanks for you insight, apologies for the slow reply.  I've been using iMovie, which has been good enough for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues on Windows 10. Not only premiere, but every other capturing software I try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arolen Did you test using iMovie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was able to capture from a few DV and HDV cameras via firewire/thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapters...  I think it was the last intel macbookpro that I was using and I seem to remember the digitize/capture interface and workflow was a little tricky and unintuitive...   

If you're able to capture in IMovie, I'm thinking this may be the issue...  If you want to send me a direct message by clicking on my username at the top of my post, maybe we could setup a zoom session so you could share your screen while your trying to get this to work in Premiere... Might help me remember.   I'm in NYC as far as timezones go, and have a couple of busy days coming up...  but would be happy to help.

Wish I could remember how I got it to work, but it may come back to me overnight...  Unfortunately, the client who I was doing the work for had to pack up all the equipment for construction in the space.  Probably going to be at least 6 months before I'd be able to reconstruct the setup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and as far as I can remember, I did not need to install any drivers to work with the hdv dv decks I was dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines