• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error retrieving frame **** at time **

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to footage taken at a recent event that I shot with one camera, I imported it into premiere pro cc 2019 and then exported it only to get this error message every few seconds.

"Error retrieving frame **** at time **:**:**:** from the file"

The footage was shot on a C300 at 24 fps, in full HD, the sequence is 24 fps 1920x1080 which is a match./

it's only when I try to export it out that I start getting the error.

Please help.

Thanks

H&M

included is a screen capture (hope it helps)

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 08.12.07.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Moderator Note: There are two potential answers to an "Error Retrieving Frame" error. 

• Issue 1: Error Retrieving Frame **** at time **. (Usually occurs with .mxf files)
    • Answer: "Move the footage to a dedicated, internal Media drive."

• Issue 2: Error Retrieving Frame (Usually occurs with underpowered computer systems and H.264 variable frame rate files).
    • Answer: Do one of the following
      • Choose Project Settings > General and select "Software Only."
      • Create a proxy for the file.
      • Transcode th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Here's an updated article with some troubleshooting steps to try if you are experiencing the error: https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-error-retrieving-frame/

If you prefer watching a video, I've made that too: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Hello Community,

Try deleting any video preview files (render files). That has also helped some editors.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
Enthusiast ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me, now when i try to play it is playing a few seconds then stops. Adobe SUCKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EASY SOLUTION

I didn't understand the "Solved" comment, but here's what worked for me:

Click the little red exclamation point icon in the bottom right (where it's telling you there's an error), and it will bring up a window with all of the errors. Then click "Clear All".

If that doesn't work, delete the bad clip, go find that source clip on your computer and move it to a different folder, then add it back into the timeline from that folder. When the errors pop up, clear them again, and it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just resave the project to other file and no any issue like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same issue and it took me about a half hour of trouble shooting before I finally closed and reopened premiere. Oddly enough, this simple action completely fixed whatever issue I was having. It's possible that I got the error because I reorganized a few files I was working with into a folder while I was editing, but this wasn't entirely the case because one of the video clips that was having the issue was newly imported from my desktop. Also, premiere will normally pop up with a "Media Offline" screen in the playback and prompt you to locate the lost clips when this is the case. Instead it came up with a black screen in the playback and no audio aside from a scratching sound at the end of the clip. Very strange, I've never had this happen while working in premiere before. I suppose the takeaway is to just quit and reopen premiere when this happens, and avoid moving files while you're in the middle of editing. Hope this helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently having the same issue. I am a young content creator and trying to use PP for editing, this started to happen about 3 weeks ago. I thought updating my graphics card would work but today the same message pops up. I don't know what else to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am having this error too, tried changing the project setting to Software only, but  I am still facing the error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe we're still dealing with this. Our entire facility is stuck on 2018 because of thise. We have extremely fast 10gbe storage and cannot use either 2019 or 2020 due to constant errors retrieving frames.

For the love of god please add a tick box to disable this awful mess of a feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Turn off CUDA is the answer? WOW! I went out of my way to make sure I have CUDA. How about fix the software Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! had the same problem, though mine was shot using phone. I was able to solve this by downloading handbrake and uploading the files there. That would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jill,

Couldn't the files be imported into Media Encoder? Did you attempt to create a proxy file? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding this problem has been happening for quite some time?  This only began happening to me with the upgrade from 2018 to cc2020 (had to wait until I purchased a brand new machine to do so). Now, whenever I open up recently edited projects that use HDV (MPEG2 from a CF card camera-not tape capture) video I am receiving this error. I have NEVER had this with previous versions (well, 2018 and before). I've seen bogus "solutions," that recommend going to "Software Only" rendering. Well, then what's the point of having GPU accelleration? That's not a fix.  I have had mild success with deleting all the .MPGINDEX files and having cc2020 re-scan and rebuild them. But it does not always work.  I have tried changing video card drivers going all the way back until PPRO tells me my video driver is not compatible.

This is a brand new machine with an i9-10940x with 32GB of RAM and a RTX 2080Super running 456.38 Studio Driver.

The only files it seems to have problems with are the M2T files from my Sony HVR-Z7u CF-Card. It doesn't matter whether the project is 10-years old or shot last week. I am having issues on this computer as well as another one at work running the same PPRO version, but with an older CPU and GTX1080. So, it doesn't seem to be machine specific.

With problems such as this (which seem to have been going on forever) these forums really do feel like talking in the middle of the woods to no one. I am hoping this can get resolved.
If there is any more I can do to help or expedite fixing this issue, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Downloaded 400 HDV tapes (took a while). Did not think it would be a problem since other HDV footage from the same camera works fine. This time, however, for saving time, tapes where downloaded with a download app called Lifeflix. Sadly, the downloaded material will not play back in premiere due to the ERM. I works well in quicktime and in FCP X, and doing any of solutions above will not work (not even creating proxies works) . Looks to me like it could be the codec is not supported in some way. What has happend and might it be solved ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this with v14.2 and XDCAM HD422 1080i 50Mb/s CBR clips - they play fine in v14.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peder Jacobsson @Trevor_Asq 

Both HDV and XDCAM HD422 are MPEG2 files.  For every file, Premiere creates a ".MPGINDEX" file. I have had luck, closing PPRO, deleting all the .MPGINDEX files associated with the footage, re-opening the project and having PPRO rescan and regenerate new .MPGINDEX files.  >95% of the time, this works.

-Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been another work around or fix for this? I am exporting a drone video with heavy graphics. This terrible work around is going to take over 2hrs to export when it should only take 10 minutes. I am paying allot of money for this creative suite and I am really frustrated with the ongoing fails, crashes and lag of this program. It's getting considerably harder to get any project edited officiantly.  I am now on day two of trying to export a project when it should be wrapped up and I should be moving on to other projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT solved! I never had this issue and then updated to the most recent CC and now EVERY project, no matter the media source, Canon, Sony, etc, gives me this error. I had always had Cuda enabled before and never had issues. Now with an update, all of my projects are giving me garbage errors and bogging down. FIX THIS ISSUE. Don't reply "Solved" when it isn't even really a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good fix, but are these files MPEG-based?  If so, try deleting the "*.MPGINDEX" file that is generated (usually alongside the original media-if selected in "preferences"). By deleting these, the newer version of PPro re-scans and regenerates the MPGINDEX files. I have had decent luck with that semi-workaround. I don't have any clue as to whether this is being worked on..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have the same Issue, Already tried averthgn that they Said but Still having some issues with the Sofware 

Honestly this is ridiculus and waiting my money already. Please advise and I HOPE YOU GUYS CAN FIX ALL THE ISSUES WITH THE sofware 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues and am currently pulling my hair out over it! I'm turning bald!

I am not really looking for a fix solution from you all, I want Adobe to actually fix the problem in the software. It is not my job to find creative solutions around the problem. This effects my actual life! This is my actual job! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue with .mxf files from sony cameras every now and then. The last time the only reliable solution was  to rencode the .mxfs as prores or another format. I agree it's extremely frustrating an adobe needs to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, it's pretty clear to me that Premiere Pro is abandonware. 

Over the years, it's accumulated so many workflow-breaking bugs, failed to keep up with standard industry features, has in fact REMOVED features, and lacks so many elementary tools (like the ability to *reorder tracks*), that it's not simply not advisable to use this software for video editing.

I've been receiving this bug on random projects since 2019, escalating to the level that the software is now totally unusable. This bug applies to .MP4 files, with playback set to software only. I can't scrub through the timeline for more than a few seconds successfully without an extremely long list of errors popping up. All the standard solutions such as clearing caches, transferring to other drives, resetting preferences, restarting etc fail to solve the problem, and tech support have nowhere to go if their engineers aren't fixing problems. 

I've been using Premiere Pro mostly for the After Effects interop, but now I'm forced by sheer absence of functionality to move to Resolve, where I have stability, but lose the flexibility of working directly with AE. What a shame.  

Oh but don't worry guys, they just added the revolutionary feature of  'Text Gradients' only 15 years after Vegas did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well while using the latest version of Premiere (22.0.0) for the first time. Never had this issue before. Totally unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - just updated to newest Premiere and now everything has the error. Did you figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V22.2 in 2022 STILL getting this error. Unbelievable an issue like this can exist for so long considering how much money Adobe charge for their software. Davinci Resolve opens, plays, edits and renders the footage without fault.... and it's free. I'm so damn close to cancelling my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sad thing is, after all these years they never made an attempt to
explain what the problem was or tried to repair it. I ended up selling my
Canon C300 because it wouldn't work with premiere without these errors.
That is a professional cinematic camera.
This does not show professionalism, through their silence and lack of
support and silence it highlights comtemptible ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines