• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting video with 24 bit audio - which Quicktime codec will give me a smaller final file?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I need to deliver a video with 24 bit audio. So I'm using Quicktime instead of H.264. I've tried two of the settings but both are creating massive files (35GB for 14 minutes isn't feasible for my purposes). Is there a setting / technique someone can recommend to preserve the 24-bit audio but reduce the overall file size? 

Thank you. 

TOPICS
Audio , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

ProRes has predictable file sizes based on the target data rates.

1080p30 ProRes 422 HQ is about 1.3GB per minute and 1080p30 ProRes 422 LT is about 700MB/per minute.

The appendix starting on page 19 of the Apple ProRes White Paper provides target bandwidth/file sizes in GB per hour at common frame sizes and frame rates.

As far as getting 24-bit audio goes with ProRes in a QuickTime file goes, you should be able to get this by starting with a ProRes QuickTime preset and changing the audio sam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using the QuickTime format, you still need to set a codec. What codec are you currently using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you simply want the smallest file sizes, then perhaps the ProRes LT or proxy.

The intraframe codecs like ProRes, Cineform, and DNx all have variants depending on compression rates. Starting with 4444 w/Alpha on top, and a proxy type as the lowest. You can find their data bitrates online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these ideas, I'll switch to one of those, and check out the rates as you suggest. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried many exports, all of which claimed to be exporting audio at 24 bit. What I then discovered - with a mass of exports - was that none of them actually did that. The results are 32 bit. 

This seems to be a problem with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still trying to figure out why the need for 24 bit audio. That is, if the problem is the ending file size. Audio tends to be a rather smallish part of the overall file data.

It's the video part that takes the most space. By far. So ... what is the need here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to deliver 24 bit audio for a particular user, client if you like. That is the brief. 

Well, it was. But ultimately I delivered 32 bit audio in the movie. I gave them separate audio of 24 bit as well. I don't have software enabling me to deliver as I hoped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Client specs ... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes has predictable file sizes based on the target data rates.

1080p30 ProRes 422 HQ is about 1.3GB per minute and 1080p30 ProRes 422 LT is about 700MB/per minute.

The appendix starting on page 19 of the Apple ProRes White Paper provides target bandwidth/file sizes in GB per hour at common frame sizes and frame rates.

As far as getting 24-bit audio goes with ProRes in a QuickTime file goes, you should be able to get this by starting with a ProRes QuickTime preset and changing the audio sample size from 16 bit to to 24 bit.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reference! 

I did export using QuickTime ProRes and I changed the audio setting to 24 bit. I checked it all in the plane showing source and output settings. 

However, even after trying multiple times, my resulting audio had been resampled to 32 bit. I checked every export with the use of audio software. 

Although I am working with video, my main concern is audio. I cannot deliver audio that has been resampled in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines