• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External Monitor Suddenly Lagging in Premiere Pro Only

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded to Monterey 12.2.1 on my M1 Max 16inch Macbook Pro.

My Premiere is version 22.2.

Ever since I upgraded my Monterey to 12.2.0 (and still not fixed on 12.2.1) my external LG monitor has been causing lag in Premiere. The lag only occurs when I change the size of the workspaces, or if I click on the different work spaces. There is absolutely no lag when scrubbing through the timeline or playing a clip.

As soon as I unplug my external monitor everything works perfectly smoothly.

I've attached a screen recording to show what is happening. The wide video is the external monitor.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue is well - 14inch M1 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this occur only in the M1 version? Have you tried the Intel version?

Seems Apple Silicon version of Premiere has some bugs, this is probably another: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premierepro-and-macos-big-sur.html

Ignore "Big Sur" title in that URL, that links to the Apple Silicon info page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it was working perfectly fine in the M1 version before I uupdated Monterey. It was only a small update but my external monitor was plugged in at the time and I think maybe that has something to do with it?

I can't seem to find out where I can download the Intel version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud app, click the three elipses and choose Other Versions

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.32.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently mine is the Intel version.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.18.26 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case try installing the native M1 version of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find it but can't seem to find it anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the M1-compatible version shows that way -- whether or not it opens in "native" mode or the Intel version via Rosetta 2 is dependent on the checkbox in the app's "Get Info" window (see screenshots).

I am unfortunately stuck using it via Rosetta for now because I use Motion Array plugins, which are not yet compatible with Apple Silicon. >_< Really slows things down, and I thought by now they would have worked it out. Need to find some other plugins, but the MA ones are so cheap and effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the native one without Rosetta and it's still doing it unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution, but verifying the problem. 

I am running a M1 Max with 32gb, 10 core, connected to an external LG 4k display. I have basically the same exact issue that you do: No issues at all when on the built in screen, but if I'm connected, it's brutal. Similarly, the timeline is fast, but any interface action (workspaces, clicking buttons, menu items, etc) have a .25s to 2s delay. It's really borderline unusable and I haven't been able to run Prem while connected to an external display. I'm on Mac 12.2.1 and Prem 22.2.0 (build 128). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the exactly same Macbook, same version, and same Premiere version. I'm also running an LG monitor.

Hopefully someone has a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution; data point only:

I am running a 16" 2019 MBP connected via a docking station to an external Dell 4K monitor.

Big Sur 11.6.4

Pr 2022.2.0 (Build 128)

No lag issues at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said I didn't have any lag issues before I updated my OSX.

My M1 Max and old 16inch 2019 had no problems before this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I have also just started having the exact same issue on my 14" MBP with M1 Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues with my 16 inch MacBook Pro. Mine isn't limited to just workspaces however, I can't even scrub through the timeline or click on anything without a full 1s-2s delay. Can also confirm it does this on an Asus P278QV so I don't think it's specific to any monitor in particular.

As stated, when on the built in display everything runs perfectly smooth. 

Bumping for a solution

16 Inch MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 32GB RAM, 32 inch LG Ergo monitor, Mac OS Monterry 12.3, Premiere Pro 22.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the people with lagging issues running Pr under Rosetta or the native Apple silicon version?

I wonder if there is a conflict/delay in processing between M1 graphics and Intel Pr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking for myself only;

Under the "Get Info" window for Premiere Pro the tick box for "Open using Roestta" is UNCHECKED, however in the creative cloud app when I click the 3 dot menu it says "Open (Intel)"

On Adobe's official list of M1 supported apps, Premiere Pro is there, but I do wonder if that includes M1 Pro and M1 Max as those seem to be the chips having the problems.

Tried Premiere Pro Beta under the "Beta Apps" in Creative Cloud and it was just as bad if not worse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thrown off by the "Open (Intel)" thing at first, but I think that is actually just giving you the option to open the Intel version. If you click on that, it will open the Intel version, if not, then it opens the "Universal" (M1-compatible) version.

I posted in this thread earlier and will just give an update that I'm no longer having the issue, but didn't do anything specific to fix it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as everyone else. Finally hooked my 14" with M1 Max to my pair of external monitors and every action in Premiere (and only Premiere) has a .5- to 2-second lag and gosh it's so frustrating. I get the delay when using both the trackpad and my external mouse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently got my 16" M1 Max 64gb and again i'm having the same issues as everyone here. I just got the Apple Studio Display and premiere is noticably laggy, when I unplug the monitor it goes back to normal. Monitor is fine with other applications it just seems to be premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have had the same issue: laggy/slow UI in Premiere on external monitor with brand new 16" M1Max, no performance issues with the external monitor in any other apps.

I appear to have a solution: at least, the below has fixed the problem for me (perhaps only temporarily? I'll report back).

1. I quit Premiere

2. I mirrored the displays (rather than extending).

3. I changed Premiere to open with Rosetta using the "get info" window on the app (it took a long time to open, presumably as something downloaded for Rosetta).

4. Then I ran premiere, and it works fine.

5. Last, I quit Premiere, turned off mirroring, turned off "use rosetta," reopened Premiere, and the issue seems solved.

Based on this, I speculate that something in the M1 version of Premiere requires something from Rosetta to work, and running PP with Rosetta just once at least gets that set up? But this is pure speculation. I'll report back with updates and will be eager to hear if this works for anyone else - especially if you just try Rosetta rather than the screen mirroring part of the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a clever solution! I hope it turns out to be the right one. 

Can I call you to troubleshoot my car next time it acts up? 😀😀😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha.

Also I can report that the issue appears to remain fixed after restarting the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will have to try this!

Wondering if now you have opened in Rosetta, it is actually defaulting to this all the time now, and that's why there is no lag?

Or is it easy to see you are running the Native version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines