• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extremely lagging and slow when typing captions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that is 1hr 52min long, when I type in the program monitor for captions, it is lagging to the point where I can type a sentence and it will take about a minute AFTER I type and watch one letter slowly appear at a time. This hasn't happened to my other project which I started last week. Is there a reason for this? It;s been going on for months now.

I have 16gb of ram, and am updated to the lastest version of PR2021. 

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
39 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is painful.

There are other reports of lagging etc, but no pattern that I can see.

And other users seem unaffected.

Any difference in the two projects other than the one being newer?

I assume you are doing a "save a copy" or similar for backups. If the newer project is okay and later goes bad, make a note at that point and check earlier backups to see if the problem is/is not present. Then file a bug report and provide the before and after project files.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abbsteroni,

Is this one single 2 hour clip or many clips that created your transcript? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer project just started slowing down for typing on captions, as soon as it hit the 300s (captions) mark it started slowing down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one clip. I do have text layers but besides that it's only the captions. There are over 2,000 captions...maybe PR can't handle that many captions yet, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. I  sent the file over to a editor friend of mine who also said it was lagging on his computer as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy! Is there any update about the lag of captions? I've been having this problem since the first lines of subtitles and I also have a single video file that is 2 hours long (and is about 7gb). I'm up to date, I have 16gb RAM, and many of my friends who have different devices and maybe even better configurations still have the same problem. It just freeze after 1 line. It's a pain to work and it never got better after any update, just worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ligia.

Sorry about that. Long sequences like yours have a harder time with performance than shorter ones, especially if you shoot 4K footage with only 16 GB RAM. I am not sure what the rest of your computer looks like. Could you let us know?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy, the footage is not 4K, it's just a single 1080p, 7Gb video file. My laptop is a 2017 Macbook Pro with 16gb RAM, but I didn't had these problems before the update of the subtitles (when they transformed from being a track in the timeline to graphic how it's now). My friends have the same problem and they have Windows with the latest updates and even more RAM and they're having problems with the captions since that update too. It's impossible to work without freezing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ligia, confirm that you are updated to PR 22.5 or indicate what version you are running.

The slowdown happens from the "first line" of subtitles. How many subtitles do you have? Have you imported a subtitle file? Created subtitles from the speech to text function?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem and same theory. Premiere simply can't handle lots of captions. And by lots, I mean a perfectly average number of captions. I have not determined if this is a sequence or project level issue, or just something that builds over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tests. Turn off other captions in sequence, clear all caches (Digital Rebellion cleaner), Save as. Deleting all other sequences. Testing each time. None of these actions had any effect. Export single sequence only to new project via project manager still had no effect, even when deleting all but five captions in the sequence and saving as.

Created brand new project and new sequence with 20 minutes of dummy captions (cut and paste). Nothing else. These captions edited fine. No problem. Duplicated this sequence six times and made some changes in each version. Typing starts to slow down noticeably.

Conclusion: Something is building up and slowing typing down, but whatever it is, it seems to "stick" to the sequence, even when Project Managed to a new project.

My two cents. I'd really love an answer, or a bug fix, as this is a major problem for me. Captions are essential and my projects are large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug filed, which is being worked on now. There are no known workarounds, I'm afraid. Sorry, Todhop.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? Having same issue. Hate that y'all did away with legacy titles, never had this issue before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a not so desirable fix. Copied my entire timeline, closed premiere - created new project file - and pasted into a new sequence. Subtitles were not lagging after this. Not ideal since all of my other sequences and work is in the original project file but this definltey stopped the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 11-16-22: I am no longer experiencing this problem with the current update, with one big caveat. I have also upgraded to the silicon Mac Studio with a clean install so I don't know if this is fixed for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. My newest M2 max 14 inch just happened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have M1 PROMAX, 32 gigs RAM and it also happens to me too. 4k footage, 3 video files, and using text editor tool. Adobe please tell me your video editing program can handle lots of "texts" in a video timeline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can. You are not experiencing the bug described above. Something is wrong and it should be fixable. Try working through basic troubleshooting. Here's an exhaustive list of steps you can take to diagnose. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/unofficial-premiere-pro-troubleshooting-guid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys Guys !!!
I found out that if i start premiere pro itself instead of specific project.

The slow issue never happen (about 6 - 8 restart project test)

And i never benn normal performance without reboot after i had problem(It has to be reboot)

Plz everyone try it . Now i love my Mac LUL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this seems to have sorted problem for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

元弘25719259alj8 and Mark,

I missed this post. How odd is that! Mark, thanks for reporting that it helped. I do not think this was on the list of things that have helped.

I'll add it to my list of things to try. Performance with the new caption workflow has been improved for most users, but there are still reports of issues.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's back to fast response again. I'll post if the problem recurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue on a brand new 2023 16" Macbook Pro with 96gb unified memory and 2tb storage. This should definitely not be happening and is wildly disappointing from Adobe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mauro, just to explain the way I resolved it. I keep both my media and project file on disks, I don't work from the cloud. I would always open a project from the disk. But when I had this caption lagging problem and saw the solution above from @元弘25719259alj8, I tried it and it worked. So rather than opening from the disk, I open Premiere first, then select the project from the welcome browser window. Who knows why it works? @Stan Jones said he's looking at it. Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like magic sir! Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate