FAQ: Prior major releases of Premiere, Audition, Prelude and AME have been removed

Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Adobe has just pulled many of the primary installers that were available for previous major versions of Premiere Pro, Audition, Prelude, and Adobe Media Encoder (AME).

Notably the following base releases are now gone, and not currently available to customers via any means (whether using the Creative Cloud Desktop app or through direct download links😞

— Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 (versions 10.3 & 10.4 – June 2016)

— Premiere Pro CC 2015 (version 9.0 June 2015)

— Premiere Pro CC 2014 (version 8.0 June 2014)

— Audition CC 2015.2 (versions 9.2 & 9.2.1 June 2016)

— Audition CC 2015 (version 8.0 June 2015)

— Audition CC 2014 (version 7.0 June 2014)

— Prelude CC 2015.4 (versions 5.0 & 5.0.1 June 2016)

— Prelude CC 2015 (version 4.0 June 2015)

— Prelude CC 2014 (version 3.0 June 2014)

— Media Encoder CC 2015.3 (versions 10.3 & 10.4 June 2016)

— Media Encoder CC 2015 (version 9.0 June 2015)

— Media Encoder CC 2014 (version 8.0 June 2014)

Note that this loss affects all revisions from these three years (2014, 2015, and 2016), because without the base installers available, none of the minor version updates can be installed either.

Can't say for sure why this happened, but it could possibly be related to the recent change in CC application support for the Dolby codec.

One of the great promises of Creative Cloud is the ability to use any version of the CC apps that you desire or require. This is especially important for video customers, who are urged by Adobe experts to install and maintain multiple CC versions and to always re-open their .prproj files with the exact same versions of Premiere with which they were created, no matter how new or old. This is for compatibility reasons.

Updating and Backing Up Premiere Pro Project Files: Best Practices

The loss of these major releases could also be a big issue for customers who cannot upgrade, for example, due to changed system requirements or newer versions that their current hardware cannot support. They will not be able to access or reinstall older versions of their software.

Adobe also sometimes drops features or functionality between releases, and says that if you want to use the discontinued feature, then you need to go back and install/use the previous version.

If you would like to have these three years of CC releases restored, then the most likely path to having that happen is to let Adobe know how important these are to you (their customers) – so please share why you want or need them...

Please add your feedback below, and/or click "I have the same question" underneath this text.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 134 Replies 134
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch.

Stopped opening,  what did it stop doing?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to queue anything in PPCC 2015.3 I get the error"

"Configuration Error

Please uninstall and re-install the product.

If this problem still occurs, please contact Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code shown at the bottom of this screen.

Error: 1

http://www.adobe.com/support/"

Of course, re-install is impossible and Adobe technical support didn't.....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've brought a couple 2015.3 era projects into the 12.x of the 2018 builds.

BEFORE installing a newer version,  copy your older version Program folder contents to another location. Then when telling the CC desktop app to upgrade, in the dialogue box that pops up,  check the box to get the "Advanced Options" displayed and un-check "remove previous versions".

This should keep 2015.3 still installed and usable on your rig.

Best way to try forward migration is:

1) make a copy of the older project file;

2) make a new project in the new version;

3) in the new version in Media Browser, navigate to the copy project file;

4) import all assets from that file;

5) test each sequence.

Some of the Lumetri things have changed so it may not see some LUTs or presets previously used. May need to redo parts of that work.

Some audio effects have also changed. One clip will be fine, next clip may need a touch to a rebuilt sound.

Lumetri in the newer version is vastly improved over the earlier version especially with the Comparison View and Apply Match shot-matching. And they do have officially approved locations for your own LUTs so they are shown in the browsing bar in both the Basic and Creative tabs.

It doesn't link to SpeedGrade but does recognize Sg work. Although one can still hack through, see my posts on this in the SpeedGrade forum.

The old Titler is still usable though you can't create templates in either 2017 or 2018. You can create title templates in an old version project and in the new version use the Media Browser to navigate to and import assets from the earlier project.

As you learn the Essential Graphics panel you will find some way cool things you can do and some amazing mogrt templates from Adobe stock including many free ones.

And some things easier to do in the old Titler.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really notice a slowing down of Premiere Pro when items are encoding in the AME queue.  Or I can just stack them up there and then encode overnight or when I leave my work area for a while.  It is just much more efficient than the one-at-a-time and stop everything else while waiting without AME...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shortly after I started subscribing to PPCC with, as I recall, version 2015.3 Adobe came out with version 2015.4.  Silly me, I thought projects I previous versions could be brought forward.  After upgrading and replacing 2015.3 I discovered projects created in 2015.3 could NOT be opened in 2015.4 even though it was only ".1" different.  I could not believe it.  That caused me significant time and work to research, uninstall 2015.4, delete a bunch of Adobe files and re-install 2015.3.  Ever since, I have been hesitant to upgrade to newer versions.  However, following your suggestion, primarily to see if I could get a cooperating version of AME again, and careful to not remove anything, I installed PPCC 2018 and AME 2018.  With a gigantic sigh of relief, that all worked and I was able to load my 2015.3 projects into 2018 and queue to AME 2018.   So far, so good.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, one frequently learns "due diligence" in the school of really nasty painful hard knocks with a ton of bricks. That's been my experience for certain.

2015.3, what a sweet version ... 2015.4, actually dumped the Direct Link to SpeedGrade. Which I still say EOL'ing Sg was a mistake, shoulda rebuilt it. Lumetri has come along some, and now with finally comparison view and "apply match" it can do a lot of what Sg could ... but it's been a while.

2018 though, the latest 12.1.2 patch, has fixed a lot of bugs and seems for ​most​ users to be running pretty good with one caveat: it doth seem to need more horsepower for the same projects for many users. It can do more things than say 2017, but ... if you don't need those, 2017 needs less horsepower.

As to projects ... I always use copies of project files in a new version, guaranteeing a way back if troubles pop up. Even though they do an iterative version when auto-upgrading a project, I ... do it myself.

But I don't updgrade ... I create a new project in the new version, then using Media Browser navigate to my old project file ​copy​, then Import the contents of that project into the new version's project file.

Call me paranoid ... but ... I can always get back, and this process has shown over the years to be the cleanest way to move a project forward if I need or wish to.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fortunate when "it works" to move older Premiere projects forward to newer versions of the software... But there are no guarantees, and too many examples of when it hasn't worked.

For example, Sue_Zan404  wrote:

I accidentally updated Premiere and it completely ruined my project; the entire clips are in the timeline, rather than just the few seconds I had trimmed, the main audio no longer fades when a secondary audio track begins, and EVERYTHING is way different from how I had aligned them.

I honestly never update Premiere, because it always does this, so I was using the 2015 version, and now the 2018 version won't even open the project!  How do I revert back to the 2015 version of Premiere, which is the only version that actually works properly?

This is why Adobe's own Kevin Monahan (and best practices) say, "maintain multiple versions and only open and work  on a .prproj file with the same version of Premiere that created it."

Of course, that is not possible if you no longer have – and can't even access or download anymore – those prior releases!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PD-T ... so very accurate in all respects.

The CC model was a grand experiment, and 'guarantees' were made at the beginning in all good faith, such as always being able to download any previous version. Then ... reality hits, in the form of a vendor that as its product was leaving patent stage, went all nuts on the trademarks of their product in anyone's app coding. And made some legal demands that are for us users 1) impossible to completely judge the veracity of either party's comments and 2) in effect granted that party the right to have continual off-site access to all of Adobe's financial records. Online constant real-time access.

The first part, well ... none of us can know what happened.

The second part, well ... I've been in business over 40 years now. If any outside company my studio works with wants full, complete, and permanent over-web access to all my financial data, well ... my response would not be printable in these forums. Although "NO!" would certainly be part of it. Emphatically.

Which left Adobe and Dolby battling with lawyers, and for us users ... meant the instant and no-warning removal of all CC apps with Dolby ac3 audio decoding/encoding/anything in them as a legal defense mechanism for Adobe. Which was brutal to so many, including myself.

As with all others, I lost access to a couple versions I would rather still have. And was lucky that I'd just downloaded one to re-open an old project in SpeedGrade and work. I still remember the shock at Adobe MAX the morning this deletion of older apps swept the place. Just ... shock. And a ton of people descending on the Adobe area of the pavilion for answers, with silent, very grim-faced staff just shaking their heads. None of that made anyone happy.

But that sort of thing happens in Life. In 40 years of business I routinely see changes, things happening that maybe five years earlier would have been impossible to even consider seriously.

You HAVE to be prepared. This is back to what the Hard Knock School of Real Life teaches.

I've had friends and partners who guaranteed the ability to get something done, or make it work ... and we 'bet' on that promise. But ... they couldn't in the end make it so, and we had to swallow pride & recompute a different direction on the fly. Wasn't anybody's "fault" ... just beyond predictability. Had seemed very reasonable, even looked at cynically with prudence.

So ... one should always be prepared and never expect any one thing or app to cover for you. Cover for yourself in your planning!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed - "never trust the internet to store something for you" is a lesson I learned years ago.

But, surely Adobe still has the code for all their old builds. Surely they could remove the Dolby codec and recompile them, with no other changes necessary?

Unless the Dolby codec was so deeply integrated that it would take an unreasonable amount of labor to remove it... like, if there are multiple overlapping checksums due to copy protection or something, I don't know... It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That thought has occurred to a lot of us. I've even asked that of several of the Staff at NAB and MAX. Well, the company has clearly got a very strong policy that this entire topic is simply not discussed past the official statements. So ... that's a pained no comment.

I haven't a clue how much work/expense it would be to remove the "offending" bits and recompile. The folks who do can't say. And the folks who control the budget I would guess well above project staffers don't seem inclined to fund it whatever the cost is.

Yea, it's a royal pain & bummer.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't necessarily need Adobe Media Encoder.  It's nice to have, but export is certainly possible without it.

Additionally, opening the current project in a new version will not overwrite the current project, it will save it with a new name.  So there's nothing wrong with trying out the newer version.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I can still export from Premiere Pro itself but while that clip or sequences is encoding, no other work is possible within Premiere Pro.  One has to wait until the encoding is finished.  AME allows queuing clips/sequences for encoding and allows work within Premiere Pro to continue.

I don't believe it is possible to open projects created in PPCC 2015.3 in newer versions.  I am concerned about even trying that for fear of losing years of work on continuing projects.  Honestly, I just don't trust Adobe to try it....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still export from Premiere Pro itself but while that clip or sequences is encoding, no other work is possible within Premiere Pro.  One has to wait until the encoding is finished.

Very true, but in practical terms, it's best to do the same waiting whether using PP or AME.  (Otherwise AME takes forever as PP steals those resources to work..)

You can open older projects in newer versions, you just can't do the reverse.  And again, Premiere Pro doesn't alter the older project, it will save it with a new name for the new version.  So it's safe to test.  (Having said that, always have an offsite backup of project files.  The CC storage included with your subscription is perfect for this.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to voice my anger, I copy-paste from my own post in another thread.

This is a huge problem. I have several projects that are running on different Premiere versions, which cannot be upgraded/have to stay on the same version for various reasons. e.g. It used to be simple to revert back and forth between versions 11.0.2 and 11.1.2.

Why can't original functionality be restored on the CC downloader app? This would be extremely important. I know several editors around me who are having these exact same problems as I do. Direct download links would help, but original functionality would be even better. The only reason this is a problem is because projects from newer cc2017 can't be opened by all other cc2017 versions. For obvious reasons, all non-up-and-downward-compatible versions should be made available for all. Image this would be the case with PSD files? That whoever is running last years Photoshop, has no way of opening files created on newer computers? Avid can do it too.

once you do have the downloader (maybe through an alternative source), I did find a temporary workaround, that for now exceeds my expectations: It is possible to have several installations of e.g. cc2017. On OS X, through Time Machine it is possible to "restore" an older installation, while keeping the current installation as-is. When entering time machine and finding the "right" old version just restore and then click "keep both". Up until now it works without major problems, only the media-encoder link breaks for the older versions. but i can live with that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to consider being more customer service oriented. People will end up being wary of upgrading for fear of the inability to go back if need be due to older projects or computer compatibility. Good service will generate more profit in the long run just look at what happened to avid and finalcut pro when they focused solely on selling the newest to the richest.... The educational and independent markets are huge and loyal- think about it adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People will end up being wary of upgrading

You should be.  Always test out new versions on a second system.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How Can i download premiere pro cc2014 ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry, it is still not possible...

The situation at this time has not changed since the original post above.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 is fairly stable.  However, CC 2018 with Boris BCC11/Red 5 crashes and freezes.  Unless you have CC 2014 on another PC you are not going to use it again.  I got around the new inability to bring in audio files from ripped DVDs by using Sony/Magix Vegas Pro.

I don't edit for fun so stability is very important to me.  Couple of our part timers edit with Vegas, they are happy with it.  I like the multiple sequences on the timeline so Vegas is not for me.  But I have used it for thousands of hours since Sony Vegas 3 came out in early 2000s.

You might want to look at AVID MC, it is pretty good.

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the news today, Best Buy plans to pull CDs off the shelves by July this year.  Another nail in the coffin for the shiny disks.

At some point these arguments are going to be mute and some will have to adapt, or consider a keeping a legacy machine on site for those occasional one-offs.

I occasionally get asked to put something onto a DVD/CD and I hand out thumb drive instead: "Time to join the 21st century."  Five years and not a single argument or retort for doing so, (non technical people are surprised to learn that they can plug a USB stick into their new TV's.  As little guidance from you, turns into a win as the go to guy for future work).

I also remember discovering that some of my archives on DVD had corroded!  Some were only three years old!  I have hard drives that are much older and still spin up.  I also had some clients ask for new copies for the same reason.  It comes down to quality control, pits in the plastic, bad adhesive on labels and acid in some markers.  I dumped the DVD/CD pipeline and spent a long week creating digital archives.   I have fond memories salvaging my films to digital all well.  The only constant is that formats never remain a constant.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peferling  wrote

I occasionally get asked to put something onto a DVD/CD and I hand out thumb drive instead:

What do you do if they want a menu?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last non-DVD menu program I did was done using a custom website as a shell, on a thumb drive for a specific need.

Believe it or not, I don't get asked for that and I don't sell it, either.  I don't miss it. They get straight video. Just like Netflix, or any other online.  It just plays on their wide screen or on their PC (burn to a folder and add an autostart script if you like).  They're happy, (it's all they want, anyway).  Corporate folks get separate clips or for links for their individual slides.   Menu's and other fancy effects are out the equation. I've yet to asked for a menu based DVD.  My legacy machine gathers dust.

This is getting old.  Wait till you can't buy a real PC anymore, (it's coming).  Then we'll have something fun to talk about. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the main editor for one of the top tech YouTube channels, I'd like to know more about your claim that people won't be able to buy a real PC anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just successfully re-installed Premiere CC 2015.3 on Mac OSX 10.9.5 by copying the installation from another computer:

1. Copy the folder /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 from the source computer to a transfer drive.
  2. Copy the folder /Library/Application Support/Adobe/PremierePro/10.0 from the source computer to a transfer drive.
  3. Copy both folders to the same location on the target computer.

Prior to this I did install Premiere Pro CC 7.2.2 via Creative Cloud, so it's possible this also placed other support files on the target system. No promises this will work for you, but hope it helps. I know I was relieved to get back up and running!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom!  Going to try this exact thing right now.  Fingers crossed!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines