• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get rid of red slash through razor feature

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to delete a few minutes from a zoom video recording and cannot use the razor feature because it has a red slash over the icon.

Have Googled this issue and have not found a response that corresponds to my issue

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Thanks Stan...I did figure out the arrow eventually but it's amazing how confusing the youtube videos are - maybe because they're recorded using older versions of the software...the icons I see don't match up to what I have downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you edited the zoom recording into the timeline and then made the timeline active and then tried the razor tool?  

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Uploaded the zoom recording and I can view it in timeline and in project sequence so not sure what you're asking me.

I have a March 2022 lenovo thinkpad laptop using windows 11 so I think I have pretty high end capabilities and lots of ram and storage..   I would be disappointed to hear that a computer as new as mine wasn't compatible with the latest version of Adobe premiere

Have you edited the zoom recording into the timeline and then made the timeline active and then tried the razor tool?  

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.

By @Michael Grenadier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any experience working with Premiere or any other computer based video editing system?  Hard to judge your level of expertise from your post.  There are several ways to remove sections from the timeline...  but without any sense of your experience, hard for me to know where to start.   Don't want to discourage you, just trying to figure out what you need to do and then we can point you to some tutorials that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me I appreciate the support and the fast turn around in terms of your responses.  I  I used to regularly use Adobe Lightroom for photo editing and I used another product for video editing as a prosumer. First time using Adobe premiere...Bottom line I understand the concept of video and audio editing. I'm just struggling to understand which buttons in Adobe premiere do what 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all probably complicated by trying to edit a zoom webinar file to delete some sections that we don't want to publish... More sophisticated editing than what zoom offers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.  what you need to do is pretty simple.  I'd suggest you do one of the basic tutorials available on youtube or even better one of the comprehensive premiere tutorials available on linkedin learning which although it is not cheap, I think there may be a free trial... 

If you've had some experience with other editing software, and you have the "show tool tips" option enabled in premiere preferences: general, you can probably figure this out thru trial and error.   The undo tool is a powerful, and by it's nature computer based editing is "non-destructive" so start playing around with it.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent the entire day viewing YouTube tutorials on Adobe premiere both by Adobe and YouTube Experts... Nobody has come close to addressing my issue so this won't not be the resolution to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to do more than "view" the tutorials.  You need to follow them and recreate the actions on your computer.  This is very basic stuff and if you understand the basic tools and interface, you'll be able to do what you need to do.  But you're dealing with a professional piece of software that demands some work to understand.  You might explore Premiere Elements as a simpler option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or hire sometime to walk you thru what you need to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're assuming that I didn't use the tutorials to guide me in making edits vs JUST viewing.  If it made sense to hire someone to train me on how to use premiere then I would just outsource having them make the edits that are needed.  Sorry this isn't helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrina,

Please post a screenshot of what you are trying to do. (You can use a section of the video that does not matter; or just a sample from a tutorial if the material is sensitive.)

Ordinarily, the razor tool just works. But, for example, if you lock the track, it will show the red slash/not operate. It is a bit hard to imagine why it is not working for you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my hypothesis also that it's locked but I cannot figure out how to unlock based on past community responses to this issue.

Patrina26510917thl6_0-1665372940847.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the razor tool work if you unlink the audio and video (right click on the file) Do you have track keyframes set for display on the audio track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1665400393464.png

You cut on the clip not above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I was successful at leaking the files but I could not find the Track key frames option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann, I was following a video that said click on the red line but clicking on the clip got it done.  Now I cannot turn off the razor to resume editing despite selecing Control K.  Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the arrow in the Tools panel. Or hit "S" - the letter tooltips appear when you hover over the tools.

Conttrol K is the command to razor without using the tool.

Congrats on finding the magic!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Stan...I did figure out the arrow eventually but it's amazing how confusing the youtube videos are - maybe because they're recorded using older versions of the software...the icons I see don't match up to what I have downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "lock" icon shows that the video and audio tracks are not locked. I don't see anything suspicious.

I may have missed mention of this: did you try Ctrl + K?

I would reset the workspace. I would then reset preferences.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried control K yet I will try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines