• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU acceleration unavailable in 2023 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Premiere Pro 2023 incompatible with my GPU? I can't select Open CL. I don't have this issue with the 2022 versions. gpu.pngpremiere pro 2023.png

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to tell you this, but the 2023 version of Premiere Pro now requires OpenCL 3.0 support in order to even use OpenCL GPU acceleration at all. Unfortunately, AMD chose not to support this newest version of OpenCL; its currently supported GPUs are currently restricted to OpenCL 2.1 support. Only Nvidia and Intel GPUs support OpenCL 3.0 at all.

Therefore, all discrete AMD GPUs will be permanently locked to the software-only mode unless or until AMD decides to add OpenCL 3.0 drivers to its graphics drivers - which is very, very unlikely since AMD has recently announced (silently) to completely discontinue OpenCL support (in favor of a different GPGPU API that Adobe does not currently support) moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my GPU is RTX 3080, and it is not avaulable either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Nvidia GPUs, you select CUDA ... not OpenCL.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because Adobe had permanently disabled OpenCL support when any Nvidia GPU that's installed is your system's sole GPU. Nvidia's historically poor (relatively speaking) OpenCL performance, dating all the way back to the first-gen Tesla architecture of 2006, is the major reason. As a result, only CUDA and software only are available.

If you have an Nvidia GPU as part of a system that also has integrated CPU-package graphics enabled, and you see OpenCL as an option, then choosing that option will utilize only the CPU-integrated graphics for GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2023 works with both OpenCL (on AMD & Intel GPUs) and CUDA (on NVIDIA).

In the screenshot below, I have both NVIDIA & AMD installed, and both CUDA & OpenCL show up as renderers.

(Of course, you can only pick one renderer at a time.)

OpenCL 3.0 is not required for Pr 2023.

RayTice_1-1666811328662.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot my issue? I have the latest drivers for my GPU.

I reverted to the 2022 version of Premiere and GPU acceleration, Open CL, was available again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Radeon RX 570 should work fine with Premiere Pro 2023, and OpenCL should be selectable as the Renderer.  That your drop-down menu shows Software Only as the only available option indicates that our "GPU Sniffer" background process apparently didn't discover your compute-capable GPU.  I've seen this happen on another system recently, where re-installing the AMD driver fixed the issue.  You might be experiencing a driver-related issue, too.  If a reinstall of the AMD driver doesn't resolve the issue, you might try running the DDU tool (display driver uninstaller, publicly available), and then installing a fresh copy of the latest AMD driver for your RX 570.  I believe either the Adrenaline or Pro driver versions should suffice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled the AMD driver using a cleaner tool and then reinstalled. I ran the GPU sniffer in the Premiere Pro 2023 directory. It appears that it sees my GPU. 2022 versions don't have this issue; it's just this new updated version. Thank you for the suggested solutions, but still no luck so far getting Premiere 2023 to give me the OpenCL option.

gpu sniffer.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this exact issue. I have a Nvidia 3070 Ti, and the update to Adobe Premiere 2023 disabled my Hardware Acceleration. Reverting to Adobe Premiere 2022 fixed the issue. 

I searched for a long time for a solution, and tried everything I found. Nothing worked. It seems that this issue happen sometimes with new releases. I have seen posts going all the way back to 2010 with people expeirencing this issue with new update. The issue is always something different. I think there was one in 2015 for example where NVIDIA changed the name of their graphics cards from GTX ____ to NVIDIA GTX ____ . The theory was that adobe software didn't detect the GPU as present.

The problem is many users don't experience and issue. But I am just posting to say, you aren't crazy. This is a real thing. it is maddening. The tech geeks will deny it's existence (the first step is always to blame the users) so it take a little while. But eventually someone will fix it. But my suggestion is revert to 2022 and just wait for the next update, they will probably sneak a bug fix in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here.  Brand new HP Zbook G9 Fury with an RTX A3000 and only the software option.

Tried different drivers and all sorts of configs but in th eend I have had to roll back to v22 and all is good again.

Do we thing this will be fixed in a future version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted in many other threads ... you don't have to revert.

Simply go to the Nvidia drive page, the older drivers section, and do a clean install of the 517.40 Studio driver.

And it will run fine in 2023. Nvidia's drivers after that are causing grief in a fair number of apps actually.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry about the misinformation on my part. The problem with GPU acceleration being disabled might have resulted from some OEM system manufacturers completely disabling all GPGPU support in their OEM-specific drivers, therefore rendering their discrete GPUs as display-only components. In this case, then the only way to restore GPGPU support would be to completely remove all traces of the OEM-specific Nvidia or AMD graphics driver, and then clean-installing the latest generic driver from Nvidia or AMD. You will lose all OEM customized optimizations this way. And unfortunately, if you try to restore the OEM customizations, then the GPGPU support will be disabled once again.

Big-name OEM gaming PCs - both desktop and laptop - are guilty of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With Premiere version 23.1, the latest update, GPU acceleration (OpenCL) is available for me again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines