• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Timeline disappeared!

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was just editing, I pressed some key and my timeline disappeared! Not the timeline window itself but the actual sequence. To make matters worse I can't find the sequence in my project to reopen it!

Help is much appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

double click.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this just happened to me and I don't see the sequence in the project panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read throught the comments and I think I may have to restart my entire sequence. I don't know why/ how this happened I don't want it to happen again but I don't know how to prevent it from happening. 

Ive tried all the suggestions and I cant seem to locate my sequence. Thats hours of work down the drain, timelines pushed back and I don't know how to prevent this from happening again. These complaints happened two years ago, why is this still happening. I cant be the only only. PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

Came here for the same reason. I now figured out that for me, Premiere saved a new project in "Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\14.0\Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" after I used Color Correction effects. I never knew I was working in a new project! When I opened the project I had found there, my sequences was back in place.

So, assumption: Your sequences may well be somewhere on your machine. Check out the Premiere folder under Documents (for Windows, not sure where it sits on a Mac). Not sure how to avoid this behavior, sadly.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me!! How crappy is this? I had multiple projects open but obviously didnt want a sequence to complete just move to a new project like this. Thanks for the tip, this solved it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your answer is the best so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue just happened after a software update. I saved a new project, which had several video clips on the timeline/sequence, then I saved the project and exited the program. Then, I updated the software. After the software update, I reopened the program and my project to find that its timeline is empty. Luckily, I hadn't really dug into editing yet. The video clips I used do have the notation that "video used 1 time".

I created duplicate projects with the same videos and dragged them to the timeline, then saved, then exited the program. I re-opened the program to find that the duplicate project's timeline is gone. All of the suggestions above don't and haven't worked.

If someone can troubleshoot this, I'd appreciate it because the only other option is to do all my editing in one go without ever closing out of the program. Saving every minute does nothing to preserve the editing or timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequences aren't gone, they're just closed.  You need to open them from the Project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@My timeline disappeared and I wanted to vomit, but I figured how to get it back!!! This isn't the best fix, but I'm working again (someone else can explain how this worked or how to do it properly).

I noticed that even though my timeline was empty my clips were still showing as being used somewhere . . . so that made me feel better.

1. Click the "Video Used" icon

2. Select the sequence where it is used!

Please excuse my use of Paint. I've got work to do and no time to make it look pretty. You're welcome.

Fixed 1.JPG

Fixed 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man, you saved my life bud. Thanks for the Tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks man! or woman! Glad I decided to read first instead of losing my mind lol, new to the program so good to know something small like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a hero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great tip thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMAZING, LIFE SAVING HELP!!! PRAISE THE LORD FOR YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double click.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot, was getting worried about all the work I had put. You're a lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, from the future!!! Or past, or present day... 

My 30-min sequence disappeared from my timeline.The sequence was still in the Project panel, but when I would click and drag it to the timeline, it went from having 5-6 tracks and some spacing between sections, to just two tracks, which were now both green with no visible seperation between media. It was like everything had been connected and while just about everything was there, it didn't really seem editable, much less have the 5-6 tracks worth of media.. 

However, when I clicked on the sequence icon  of the sequqnce(the three lines stacked but offset from each other) which was in the right cover of the sequence (very tiny), it restored the sequence to the timeline!!! 

Thanks Ann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see that this answer was helpful to others. In my case this window is not visible either.

Why is Adobe doing this? Obviously it must be a function - not a bug.
But what is the function of "once the timeline is closed it can't be opened again?"
Very frustrating and pretty new experience provided Adobe.
Must now re-create the entire video with Black Magic Design's - DaVinci Resolve, until I figure out how to avoid loss of work by disappeared timeline window in Premiere Pro.
Hope you have more luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

you saved me hours of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you... you're my hero! It also happened to me and it made me mad, but now my life is back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The moral to this story for new editors is to learn 2 things:

• How to open a sequence.
  • How to determine the difference between a sequence and a clip in Icon view.
    • Answer: The icon will have different icons in the lower right corner of the clip.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry @Kevin-Monahan, I dont get it. Not sure if this is sarkasm or if you are serious. Either way: Can't re-open the timeline. And Yes - I am in moderate panic.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually post on this sort of thing. But. You saved my life. Just want to let you know I love you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you wow. You just saved me. I had auto saves on and everything but my computer updated itself and made it impossible to get my timeline back. Spent hours trying to figure it out so thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines