• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 compatibility with premier pro

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've imported sony a74 HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 into premier and once i make a small adjustment (change duration) it plays back choppy, using100% of my cpu. Is there any way to make playback smooth? only till i render it it plays back smoothly, and its a pain to do every single time

my system: 

cpu AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core

Disk: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB

gpu: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 super

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the most powerfull machine will have a hard time with H.265

Might want to consider using proxies or convert to a edit friendly format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is nearly the nastiest format/codec for editing in current use. Very fast for the camera, as they have a specialized chip made expressly to use certain computations to dump data down to that encoded data.

And I'll guess that's 4k files also? A ton of data there per frame.

Your computer ... and mine! ... don't have an exact reversal chip for re-creating "video" from the file data as encoded. And it's a tough slog for the CPU to compute, as it isn't needing to do one frame at a time sequentially.

It's having to create MANY frames at once, as the file data for any one frame references data that has or will change from one to several other frames. So ALL those frames have to be recreated before any one of them is ready to view.

Basic playback may work, but ... add in effects like Warp, retiming, color ... and you can get hammered playback performance.

I know and work with a lot of colorists, who typically use "heavy iron" machines with MASSIVE capabilities, mulitple large RAID assemblies, 256GB of RAM, that sort of thing. And they mostly hate projects with this media in them. Frequently, even on truly monster machines, they will (As Ann suggested) transcode to an intraframe codec ... or at the LEAST ... make proxies.

There are some people out there who actually can use the stuff with major effects and on their machine it works. Wonderful for them, but that ain't most of us.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I responded to another user in another thread, your system does not support hardware decoding of 4:2:2 footage of any kind. Nvidia does not support 4:2:2 at all in its NVDEC - only 4:2:0 or 4:4:4. And then, Adobe's implementation of NVDEC is strictly limited to 4:2:0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi RjL

The information is probably here somewhere but I've been looking for days and across many sites on the net for some guidance. I'm a professional photographer, but a newish videographer, I'd like to shoot video for clients with the R5 I own, I've used Premier but would change that if needed for ease of editing, what format would you suggest shooting in and with what computer and software to get the widest range of options and ease of use for delivery to the client, and software options for myself. Thanks for the help.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a reply from RJL there now ... that person is THE top expert on such things that routinely posts here. They know this stuff. The details. That ain't a guess, like I'd have to do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines