• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how come cineform proxies work on my desktop computer but arent recognized on my m1 macbook?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with RED footage. I go into premiere on my imac desktop computer (premiere version 22.6.2) and right click on a file and choose create proxy. and then i select format: quicktime. preset: cineform medium resolution proxy. And it works fine on this red footage. Then I take this external hard drive with the project on the drive and open it up on my laptop. When i attempt to open this same project file on my m1 macbook pro (i think its the same premiere version), it tells me "file uses unsupported video compression type cfhd", and makes all my cineform proxies offline. I'm confused. i thought this cineform proxy codec was pre-built into premiere. so i dont think its an issue of me not installing a codec, is it?

I dont have this issue if i choose h264 proxies for the red footage. you might be saying to yourself: ok problem solved, use h264 proxies going forward.... Not so fast! the reason i was choosing cineform is because when i was working on a show a few months ago, and with whatever footage type i had, it refused to let me make h264 proxies. (error "The selected preset does not support the audio channel type of the clip of this file A002C001_220919_R4P6.mov")  so i was forced to use cineform.

ok so quick recap, if i make cineform proxies they arent recognized by premiere when i move the project onto my laptop. and i cant make h264 proxies for footage shot on a ....... (i cant find the camera name in the name metadata)

Anyone have this issue? or can anyone tell me if the cineform codec comes built into premiere or not? (if not, i have a theory..... i think i saw an article today that said the cineform codec is for gopro's. and i remember installing go pro software on this desktop computer 2 years ago but not installing it on the laptop).

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

OH WOW if i start a new premiere project on the laptop and right click on the footage and do 'create proxy'..... cineform isnt even an option to choose from in the drop down. only quicktime and h264. wow so cineform doesnt exist in premiere on m1 macbooks.....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd strongly suggest you use one of the prores formats.either proxy or lt..  Work great.  Although they're probably gonna be larger files than h264 which are heavily compressed and take more processing power to playback smoothly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was avoiding prores just because they're such big files but i guess i'll try that solution moving forward. just wish i could get an answer from adobe as to why the cineform and h264 proxies have these issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do the cineform files open in quicktime player or vlc on the m1 laptop?  If not, it's probably an OS issue or an M1 issue rather than a premiere issue.   And is the cineform proxy preset available on the M1 laptop?  If not, that's probably a clue to it's incompatability.  And if it is, try creating one and compare it to the one you created on the IMac which I assume is an intel machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH WOW if i start a new premiere project on the laptop and right click on the footage and do 'create proxy'..... cineform isnt even an option to choose from in the drop down. only quicktime and h264. wow so cineform doesnt exist in premiere on m1 macbooks.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am sorry to tell you this, but the Apple Silicon versions of Premiere Pro do not currently support Cineform at all. Only the Intel versions of the Mac version of Premiere Pro support Cineform. To open the Intel version of Premiere Pro, you must install the Rosetta 2 emulation software in order for the Apple Silicon Macs to run Intel Mac apps at all. Then, you must open the app in the Creativew Cloud desktop app (do not open Premiere Pro directly as that will default to the Apple Silicon-native version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines