• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you copy and paste text in graphic templates?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way but how do you copy and paste text in Graphic templates? Is this a bug or a feature? I've had to manually enter information.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to see the pic you tried to link.

It may depend on how the template is set up that you're trying to use. If it's simply presets created with Essential Graphics, then you can copy and paste the text layer (inside the Essential Graphics panel). If it's a .mogrt file, then you can only edit the parameters that have been assigned to the template. You can copy and paste the whole clip, but not individual parts of that clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried pasting it in the timeline which doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. You have to do it inside of the Essential Graphics Panel.

PhillipJoseph_0-1587956626010.png

That's if the template was designed in this way.

If it looks like this:

PhillipJoseph_0-1587956766073.png

Then you can't copy and paste the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro v23 (Mac OS Monterey) with 128gb memory, 32TB server, and 1TB SSD drive. Sorry, Phillip, but this absolutely does NOT work, not with the Title Tool creating a blank text window, nor in the Essential Graphics panel if you wish to update an existing text window.  I'm attaching two screen grabs of the Effects Control panel and of the Essential Graphics panel,  which proves not only that I can't do it, but "Paste" via dropdown menu is GRAYED OUT, so there's no choice but to do it by hand.  Ugh.  Anyone have any ideas on this?  I'm working on a documentary with lots of text cut/paste with titles and this is a real workflow killer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you pasting there?

You paste new text most commonly in a text box in the Program monitor, as the app then knows where you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mr. Haugen for replying so quickly - on a Sunday, no less!  The two screen grabs that were attached to my post show that the option to paste (on a dropdown menu) is grayed out.  I have tried many times to select the Type Tool in the tool bar to create a text window from scratch in the Program Monitor and paste the Mac OS text in the clipboard into that, but it does not work.   To be more thorough, I always paste from Mac using the TextEdit app, because that app contains no formatting, so it pastes "clean" into other Mac apps.  Premiere has no trouble copying/pasting text from TextEdit if I'm in the Project Panel (renaming bins, edits, clips, etc). or other panels so the Mac-side of cut/paste is working.  It just ain't working in the Text Tool.  I'm totally stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you follow all the steps?

First, create the text box on the program monitor by click drag.

Second, select the text externally.

Third, click in the text box to get the blinking cursor, then paste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy in the EGP you also paste in the EGP and not the ECP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann - thanks so much for replying.  I responded to another thread in the Adobe Community very similar to this which you had responded to.  You may want to look above where I'm replying to Phillip Harvey in this thread.  There are two screen grabs which prove that Paste is not possible in neither the EGP nor the ECP.  Sheesh!  What a headache!!!!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!!!  It works, and it's so much more intuitively correctable if you avoid the Essential Graphics to paste text.  And avoid the Effect Controls panel until you do the following:  In the Text Panel, select the Graphics TAB.  You will see all titles and their corresponding record time code locations (sweet!!!)  Select the title you want to paste text into by left-clicking on it.  DOUBLE click the title you wish to paste.  Voila!!!  The Effect Controls panel now has proper focus on the object (the text you just pasted), so any property changes you make to what you just pasted now will now work.  Properties include justification, new line, font, font size, and so on.  The Video/Motion dropdown properties in Effect Controls are now also editable:  Position, Scale, Rotation, Opacity etc.  

Whew, what a ride!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know that it's solved. What you want is to copy a text from an external text editor and paste it replacing an existing text in PPro. You can do that only in the Text panel, or in the Program monitor, in both you can highlight the text and do the paste.

The copy paste in the GEP and ECP are used to DUPLICATE an existing text, which clearly you don't want to do in your case. The paste command was disabled in your screenshots, because you have to copy the existing text layer and then the Paste will be enabled, where paste will create a duplicate of your selected text. I hope things are clear now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ali -

Things are - well, almost clear now.   How do you copy the existing text layer from GEP or ECP?   That was not clear to me from Adobe documentation nor threads.  But working with external text (from TextEdit, specifically) and pasting it into the Graphics tab in the manner I described is completely consistent, so unless copying the text layer yields both consistent and efficient results, I am more than happy with the discovery I stumbled on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made a short video tutorial that shows various copy-paste options:
https://youtu.be/JnX51RTsVJU

Hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can of course copy/duplicate a graphics "clip" on the sequence and paste that elsewhere in the sequence. As noted by Phillip, if you've made the graphics through the EGP but not saved as a mogrt, you can simply copy any line or group from the EGP's edit panel and paste onto another graphics clip Edit panel.

So ... which you're working with, and what you're doing to it ... matter for helping you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines