• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply style to SRT file in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obvious there are several ways to create captions in Premiere. However, I have existing captions in the SRT format that I added to a project. I can drag an SRT to the timeline to create a caption track. A dialog box appears where I can select a style, but my styles are empty. 

I've created caption styles in other projects using the Essential Graphics panel, but they only exist in that project. Can a caption style be available in all new and older projects?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Paul@QuidelOrtho you bring up a good point, that the ability to select a local style when you create a caption track is missing. 
One thing you should really make sure to to is not select all captions and then just click on the style in the style browser. Instead, select one caption, right click a style in the style browser and choose "Set as track style". That will ensure that the entire track is using a style and you can more easily keep your captions consistent down the line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save them to your 'Local styles' when you create them. They go here on Mac: /Users/%USERNAME%/Documents/Adobe/Common/Assets/Text Styles/My Test style.prtextstyle

Or you can import them: Select a caption on the caption track and in the Essential Graphics panel, click the "Open style browser" button from the 'Track Style' section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply; you did offer me a hint to look further into this issue.
When you first drag a caption to the timeline, the New caption track dialog appears, but you don't have the ability to select a style, even though there is a style dropdown where you would expect to find them.

If you want to apply the style to all your captions, you must select all, not just one. Then, in the Essential Graphics panel, the style dropdown doesn't show the styles. I'll bet this is where everyone new to caption styles would click. You need to click the Style Browser, where your styles appear.

A bit clunky, but it works.

[cid:image001.png@01DA9CA2.57643170] [cid:image002.png@01DA9CA3.8FAF3EC0]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paul@QuidelOrtho you bring up a good point, that the ability to select a local style when you create a caption track is missing. 
One thing you should really make sure to to is not select all captions and then just click on the style in the style browser. Instead, select one caption, right click a style in the style browser and choose "Set as track style". That will ensure that the entire track is using a style and you can more easily keep your captions consistent down the line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines