• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to increase bitrate when exporting as H.264 (mp4)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When exporting files for cable, we typically use .mpg files which work well with the cable stations we traffic to. However, Hulu requires mp4 with a minimum bitrate of 15-30 mbps. With Quicktime no longer a viable option in Premiere Pro to get mp4 files, I have defaulted to using the built in H.264 format with our exports. However, every once in a while i'll get a message from Hulu saying that the bitrate is just below their minimum standards of 15-30 mbps. No matter what I adjust the settings to, I cannot get the output file to the correct target bitrate. Even with a target and max set at 300 mbps just as a test, it's still coming out at about 14.7. This happens with VRB 1 and 2 pass as well as CBR. Is there a correct way to get a higher bitrate when exporting as an mp4? As a comparison, our .mpg files average out to around 100 mbps.

Thanks!

Vin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

It's conceivable that VBR could have segments below your Target.  Black screens/titles for example just won't require very many bits to encode.

CBR should keep the bitrate constant even when that many bits aren't needed.

If you play back the export using PotPlayer and hit CTRL+F1, you'll see some stats for your video including a running bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's conceivable that VBR could have segments below your Target.  Black screens/titles for example just won't require very many bits to encode.

CBR should keep the bitrate constant even when that many bits aren't needed.

If you play back the export using PotPlayer and hit CTRL+F1, you'll see some stats for your video including a running bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello!  I had this same problem and tried many settings and several uploads to no avail.

My solution came when I noticed on the Hulu Tech Specifications:  Bitrate CBR 15 to 30

So I set my export to Bitrate type CBR at 29.97, and the upload took it.

Best of Luck to all who end up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines