• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to interpret duration when setting the length of clips?

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have a very simple question that somehow I did not find the answer to, maybe I did not know how to word it correctly. I'm trying to set the duration of multiple clips to all be .5 seconds, by selecting them all and going to speed/duration and end up here:

COAC_0-1679083143493.png

The only problem is, I don't now how to input .5 seconds here. I know it's not what I have on the screen because it's way to short now. How can I make all of them .5 seconds? please let me know what numbers I should input, and I apologize if this is super obvious! I hope I'm not the only one that has wondered this...

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I make all of them .5 seconds?

By @COAC

In this dialog you type in HH:MM:SS:FF were FF stands for frames. So you must know the frame rate in the timeline and/or clips. Let´s say that your frame rate is 60 fps/second, then 0.5 seconds is 30 fps/second so the correct value should be 00:00:00:30 to make that clip 0.5 seconds.

To make all 0.5 seconds, select all clips on the timeline and press Ctrl+R to bring up the Clip Speed/Duaration dialog and enter the amount of frames that adds up to 0.5 seconds and make sure to tick the Ripple Edit, Shifting Trailing Clips and clik OK.

Good to know is that if you have video clips this may not be the right method to use. I just tried on a two hour clip and it became 34 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds... It works as expected on still images though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I never knew that! That's super helpful. So, most of my footage is 120  fps and some is not. I did 00:00:00:15 to make them the right length but now some are in fast motion. I'm guessing I would manually have to do these and can't in one batch because of the frame rate difference... is that correct? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...the right length but now some are in fast motion.

By @COAC

Yes, that will happen. As i wrote this is not the best method for video clips while it is superiour for still images. All values you enter to the Clip Speed/Duration dialog to video clips will either speed up or speed down the clips.

For video clips i would trim the clips. I dont know of a way to automagically make a batch of clips 0.5 seconds and at the same time automagically choose which frames to keep or not keep.

I dont really know what you want, iow change the duration while not changing the speed or changing the duration without affecting the speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! yes, I was trying to make multiple clips in a timeline all have a .5 second duration without affecting speed. I was thinking, I would separate the 120fps clips from the 30fps clips and then batch edit the duration using the above method based on the specific fps per clip... I would just have to make sure that the clips I edit at once have the same frame rate. Would that be the best way to do it? Or, what would you recommend? Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, what would you recommend?

By @COAC

I would just trim the clips to 0.5 seconds since 0.5 seconds is 0.5 seconds no matter the individual frame rate. If i know that i need to trim a couple of clips to 0.5 seconds i would just do that directly on the timeline and be done rather than worrying about their respective frame rates. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, how would I go about that? That was what I was trying to do the whole time and I'd rather not do anything with the frame rate if I don't have to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wait, how would I go about that?

By @COAC

I do it by knowing the frame rate of the timeline i am working with. So if i have a timeline that is 50 fps and if the clip starts at 00:00:00:00 i move the time indicator to 00:00:00:25 by pressing +25+Enter on my numerical keyboard and then trim the clip with the mouse. So the key is to know the frame rate of the timeline and not all individual frame rates of the clips.

Ooops, i see now that i am back with frames instead of seconds i wrote about in the previous post... There should be a way to type in seconds with the keyboard but i cannot get that to work now. (Was it +.5+Enter to jump forward 0.5 seconds, or...?)

Averdahl_0-1679089729860.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines