• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would I create this transparent glassy effect in Premiere Pro (or AE if need be)

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ConsfusedUser_0-1684923573389.png

How do I turn a video transparent but glassy so that it refracts the image behind it?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023
I figured out how to do it in After Effects. Above a background layer I put the layer I wanted to become glassy. Then I added an adjustment layer above that and applied a displacement map. I set the source layer to the layer 2 and set the modes to luminance, so that brightness would displace the underlying background. Finally, I hid layer 2 to just leave the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it in Premiere with a combination of Turbulent Displace and Blending Modes.

1 - Put the background on V1.

2 - Put the video you want to glassify on V2.

3 - Put the foreground on V3.

4 - Create your mask (or key) on the clip on V2.

5 - Add a Turbulent Displace effect, and play around with it until you get the desired effect.

6 - Adjust the Blending Mode under Opacity of the clip on V2. Multiply could work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion Sami.

I tried this, but unfortunately, none of the blend modes do the trick. All of them maintain some vestige of colour from the original V2 clip. What I'm seeking is total transparency that displaces and bends the background behind it, perhaps based on certain values like brightness

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I figured out how to do it in After Effects. Above a background layer I put the layer I wanted to become glassy. Then I added an adjustment layer above that and applied a displacement map. I set the source layer to the layer 2 and set the modes to luminance, so that brightness would displace the underlying background. Finally, I hid layer 2 to just leave the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines