• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

huge performance drop since update to Premiere 2022

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I recently upgraded to v22.0 (2022) and working on my timelines has became really slow and studdering. I feels like back in the days when I was working with a slow computer where the sound is running on but pictures drop and lag a lot when playing back the timeline. Editing is super painful and slow like that.

I was suprprised and also installed the former version v15.4.1 (2021) again. In this version everything is still running as smoothyl as I remember. I am working on 4K 10bit Footage without proxies but my computer is set up to handle that. I have a i7-9700K 3.60GHz with 64 GB RAM and a Geforce RTX 2060 Super. Like I wrote in 15.4.1 it works very smoothly but in v22.0 it's really not useable at all. I payed a lot of money for the hardware in order to be able to edit 4K 10bit directly without proxies for professional work.

I have to stay with 15.4.1 or hope for an update with a fix. Anybody having the same issues?

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

have seen, in the other thread, that changing the playback quality to Full resolves the issue, works for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am facing the same issue, worked fine yesterday, having the troubles now. Works on 15.4.1 too. Working on 4k 10 Bit Slog3 footage, also without proxies .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that I am running on Windows 10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I must have missed that thread when I check the search function to find similiar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have seen, in the other thread, that changing the playback quality to Full resolves the issue, works for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, worked for me, too! Strange, but works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Have only ever been able to get decent playback on my machine at 1/2 or 1/4 playback quality. Now get the best playback at Full quality. Windows 10 v22.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem to be working for me. anyone else have another solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution I have found is to import the contents of your existing project into a new project.

It seems to me like CUDA has been disabled when converting to CC2022. Despite  disabling/enabling CUDA in the options CPU was pinned at 100% and GPU idling.

After re-importing, it's back to working how it was in the previous version. Phew! Hopefully someone finds this workaround useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, Premiere v22. 1.1. playback is still super slow, unusable I would say. 
My iMac specs: 27" 5K, 2020 model 3.6 Ghz 10-Core Intel Core i9 32 GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB.

Editing A7S3 10bit 4K files. Had no problem a few months ago. Now's a nightmare...

Adobe, please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julio,

Sorry. Try closing all projects and then deleting media cache. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

That was the first thing I did, deleting the full media cache, but it didn't work.

Obviously, this is an issue with Intel macs, right?!

Hope Adobe make some efforts fixing this, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had to move back to 15.4.1 for one project and am now debating whether I need to do that again for a more recent project. The performance overall has been really bad with major lagging problems even if I change it to high quality playback. I have had to proxy all of the files which is far from ideal and shouldn't be the case when these files play fine with 15.4.1.

I also installed the updates today and it has made the issues even worse. Warp Stabaliser isnt working properly too. Honestly this has been a nightmare to work with and it's never been this bad before. I thought that these bugs would've been worked out by now but as I have tried all of the fixes I found in the threads and I am still getting major problems I am not sure what to do other than export the XML files and take the project into 15.4.1. A lot of time wasted and stress with client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morgan,

Sorry. Have you tried setting playback to "Full?" That is the workaround for 22.0.

If not, try closing all projects and then deleting media cache? How about trashing preferences? These steps can help when trying to migrate projects from one version to the next.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thank you for getting back.  I deleted cache. The other issue was exporting, I did a test export and it was estimating a crazy amount of time to export a 5 min, single pass H264 1080 file. This would've been exported in no time with previous version. I had to use Media Encoder as this brought it back down to a relitively normal time. 

I just don't get why this is all so bad with theis version and I dont think that these workarounds are really good enough. As a user I am paying for a service but stressing out looking through a number of threads on community pages just to work on a project which in the scope of video projects should not be adding this much of a strain to Premier or my machine. 

Also there is no-one saying why this has happened with this particular version. It has had a big impact on workflow and client communication on several small projects over the past couple of months since the update came out. Am I to expect that things will improve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue, for some reason using the application in windowed mode works completely fine, but the second I click "maximize" it slows to a crawl. Very weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly shocked at how slow Premiere is right now. I've been using it for years and love it. I am editing a feature film right now and these new issues make this update/Adobe unusable. Nothing is fast, everything is delaying. Is there another service you recommend that I switch to? All of my footage is in Full like you suggested. I will try the other suggestions made by Kevin, but this is really unacceptable for a service that we are all relying on for our income and liveliehood. I would assume Adobe would test this out a little more before compeltely slowing down our workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just unacceptable at this point. It's been months of this and there's been no fix that works. Playing HD footage back at full sputters and stutters as if I'm editing 6k Alexa footage. It's ridiculous and I hope someone links an alternative. I am so over adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am chiming in here to because you all are not alone– I have had the exact same issues for a few weeks now and posted on the forums separately about it, and it's DEFINITELY not hardware related. I'm equally as frustrated with the lack of communication from Adobe directly about this.... is there nobody that can answer questions about these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also have problems with Premiere Pro (after updates I guess). Everything is updated including my MacBook Pro Monterey and I emptied the cache AND have set the playback to Full. Nothing helpes. Please Adobe! Solve this problem! I need to do my work! 

I can't even drag and drop on the timeline without lagging. When opening a new funktion lets say from the meny the respond for the command is 20-30 sec. I'm for the moment mainly working with HD mov-files from iPhone. Nothong heavy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problems and it's almost the end of March now.. have been contemplating a switch to Davinci Resolve and i think this is gonna be the push 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stephanieh,

Sorry for the issues. 

Having the same problems and it's almost the end of March now.. have been contemplating a switch to Davinci Resolve and i think this is gonna be the push ðŸ˜ž

This post is 3 versions and four months old, so it may not be the same issue, that the OP has solved.

Please tell us more about your system and especially your media. The OP had problems on PC with the previous version, but Mac users have also jumped on board the post. Certain computers simply cannot playback native footage from certain cameras. Run-of-the-mill computers and 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 from a Sony camera simply won't work in many computers at all, for example. In other words, there is probably a reason why your computer is not handling your footage well.

Please tell us the following info:

• Which computer do you have?
  • What are its key components in terms of CPU/GPU/RAM/HD?
  • Which OS are you running?
  • Which version of Premiere Pro are you running? 22.2?
  • Have you closed all Adobe other applications while editing?
  • Do you have Spotify or Chrome running while you are editing?
  • What kind of footage are you editing with in terms of frame size, frame rate, codec, and color space?
  • Which camera is the footage from?

Optional troubleshooting steps:

• Choose File > Close All Projects, then in Preferences > Media Cache, choose to delete all media cache.
  • Close Premiere Pro, press Alt/Option, and launch once more. Choose to reset preferences. See if Premiere Pro operates better.
  • Create a new project. Import the older project into the newer one.
  • Update macOS or Windows
  • If Windows, update the GPU drivers
  • Update Premiere Pro and Media Encoder

Hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I found this thread and your message. Same here. i9, p2000 pro graphic from Nvidia, 32 gig DDR4 ram. 3 ssd for the work flow. Hours and hours of studying and expense trying to have my dream machine which before these last few updates I had. Now I'm back to square 1.  So yea I've been racking my brains having tech sessions with intel, Nvidia and Adobe not to  mentions the hours of googling. Finally it hit me that my machine used to be great and a light bulb came on and I googled it and found your conforting post. Thank You. Gonna have to back to 15. I've been studying and using Reslove and not yet but soon I'll switch. I understand that the new resolve 18 has amazing playback. I  Have studio 17 and it works well. Soon as I'm able to figure out and do everything that I can in Adobe.... I may jump ship. I have a modern powerful well oiled machine and adobe in rendering it useless. boo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I upgraded, mid project, and was stunned at how sluggish the new version is. Even clips from an iphone seem to challlenge playback speed. I've used proxies, which I've never had to use before, even in 1-hour high rez production. I think I will drop back a couple of versions and if that doesn't work, I think I'm headed for FCP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines