• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported YouTube Captions doubling

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I have done a trick to help with captioning my videos. I would upload the video to YouTube, then download the SRT file, re-upload the SRT file into Premiere, then just fix grammar mistakes. Bam! Perfectly-timed captions.

But lately, the SRT files have been appearing with sentences "doubled up". The SRT looks normal in Notepad, so it appears to be a Premiere issue. Does anyone know a way to fix this, or another easy method for captions like this?

caption question.jpg

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Thanks. I also figured out another solution - the 2-line rolling only occurs in YouTube's auto-generated captions. If you edit the captions in YouTube (even if you just open the editor and immediately save it), it saves it as another caption file. Downloading this SRT file works fine and does not have the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YouTube is using a 2-line rolling rather than "popon" caption style. So it exports 2 lines of caption per timing. It may look right at first in a text editor, until you realize that the timing for one line overlaps the timing of the next. So PR sees it as overlapping and combines the captions.

The simplest method I found for fixing this was to open the srt in Subtitle Edit (free) and use its function for "fix common errors" to retime to single lines. Be sure "fix overlapping times" is checked. And after running the selection, click "apply." Then import that into PR.

At least one user reported problems with time sync, so check your results. His solution was also good for Mac: mask out one of the two lines.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/duplicate-text-in-captions-imported-from-srt-file/m-p/99...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I also figured out another solution - the 2-line rolling only occurs in YouTube's auto-generated captions. If you edit the captions in YouTube (even if you just open the editor and immediately save it), it saves it as another caption file. Downloading this SRT file works fine and does not have the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys, I tryied Steven's solution and it worked for me. After I opened Youtube's editor and saved it the captions again, it gave me a non-automatic new caption (it's the same that was auto generated but as another caption file), I didn't find out how to save as a SRT file, Youtube only gave me the option to download it as a SBV file. I downloaded this SBV file and converteds to a SRT file using an random free online tool. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan Jones! That one saved me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steven,

Glad you solved your issue. Which version is this? Captions is different in current version. I recommend that you upgrade to take advantage of the new captions workflow.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to say going to the subtitles in YouTube creator and duplicated the subtitles will create a new set. Click on the 3 dots and download that subtitle and all overlapping is fixed.  I think YouTube is using a customized format for automatic subtitles that displays very nicely in YouTube but when imported and burned into videos using tools like ffmpeg, it's messed up. 

Just to say thanks to Steven5E33. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines