• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing image sequence: option greyed out

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a sequence of numbered images as a video clip into Premiere Pro CS6, but it won't take the files:

I've got 9480 JPEG image files named like BlahXXXX.jpg where XXXX goes from 0000 to 9479.

Now when I go to File > Import... and select all those files, the checkbox in the bottom of the file choosing window (image sequence) gets greyed out. If I just select a single image, I can check it, but when clicking "Import" then, Premiere will only import that single still frame.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Hi Digihill1,

This works as expected for me. Try this:

1. Choose File > Import (not the Media Browser)
  2. Navigate to the folder with your image sequence in it
  3. Click the first image in the image sequence (only select the first image, not all the images in the folder)
  4. Click the Image Sequence check box at the bottom of the Import dialog box
  5. Click the Import button
  6. Your image sequence is imported as a clip

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No file names should be a simple as possible: 0004.jpg, 0005.jpg etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think the sequence no' should be at the end of the file.

if you work with adobe bridge you can first sort your view by capture date or any other field+ manually

and then rename all the files as you want as well as adding sequence no' at the end.

eytan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud

Program: Premiere Pro CC (current)

Bridge CC (current)

Try this: batch rename in Bridge (if you have it) with just the number, no text. Copy how it have it set in the screenshot. I've circled the key part. Worked for me, good luck.

seq.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CC 2015.0.1 and the "Image Sequence" option is grayed out. I have used it in previous versions with no issue. I am trying to import files that are named 0000tl.jpg - 0948tl.jpg and they will not import no matter which menu location you choose for importing. AME sees the image sequence and imports them into AME perfectly. Everything I am seeing indicates that something is broke. AE also imports the same set of files with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the the name to just the numbers (lose the tl), see if that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change the name of the file's to 0000.jpg - 0948.jpg Premiere allows me to import them as a image sequence. I still will state that the image sequence import code in AME and AE is the desired result. I would rather not be forced to change the file names. When using a GoPro for example the file names are already created sequentially. I know had imported the same image sequence in a prior version of CC 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem.  I have the latest (as of April 2016) versions of Lightroom and Premiere.  I shoot RAW on a Canon 5d Mk III and on import Lightroom converts the RAW files into Adobe DNG.  When I try to import a timeless series in premiere I select the first of a sequentially named series and the 'image series' option is greyed out.  If i try to import the first of these images, I get a message saying "unsupported format or damaged file".  Really surprised by the incompatibility given that it is between two Adobe files.  I can export from lightroom as a series of JPGs and it works, but it introduces and unnecessary step....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. And now I've wasted so much time searching through this thread for an answer. Ugh. So effing* annoying.

*this only makes it more annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed ridiculous, why should we have to rename the files in order for it to work... Please fix this! @adobe !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Took me months of agonizing and ignoring PP before I finally figured out on my own that renaming the files (specifically with no characters after the numbers) made everything go smoothly. I've never had that issue with any other software, so it never occurred to me to try that. I now rename every single time lapse project with ViewNX 2 before ingesting into Premiere (1- xxxx).

So for anyone joining in, the long story short:

Rename your files! For me, I start with 1 and go on from there. Others use 0001 and go from there. Bottom line: rename rename rename!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use open As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I renamed the files (0001 + sequence). That solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know guys, this is paid sit, all Adobe CC performance just slow like a pregnant elephant. The problem the Adobe products getting worse, I do not want to update anymore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is April 10, 2018, and I have the same problem. I've done this several times before. This is a bug, Adobe, not user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 12, 2018 and same problem, Image Sequence check box is greyed out and not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me when there were numbers in the filename except the sequencing numbers. First my images were called something like P32413492432_001 to P23473942030_500 and importing as sequence didn't work. After I had exported them as IMG_001 to IMG_500 it suddenly Premiere Pro imported the images as sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a lot of help, thanks! That's crazy cool how Premier recognizes the whole video clip from just one photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be late or repeating somebody, my issue with this was my file names weren't all the same, img0001 through img 9999 were then followed by img10000, a different number of numbers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple solution in case someone still struggling with this issue:

1. Instead of naming "01-image, 02-image..." --> change the name to "image-01, image-02.."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is simple, if you have any suffix or prefix in the filename apart from basic numericals (for example, if your filename is like 'adobe001.png' or '0002adobe.psd') then you'll need to remove it and keep only the numericals ascending with files (1.png, 2.png, n.png) or (0001.png, 0002.png, 000n.png), as only in this case premiere pro will recognize them as sequence and that option will be active again. Now renaming each file or frames won't be a sane decision, so I recommend using a third-party software to rename files in bulk numerically. I used this https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php and it worked fair. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Very helpful. FYI on Mac you can bulk rename right from the Finder:

https://www.imore.com/how-rename-multiple-files-once-mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines