• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Intel Decoding in Premiere Pro SLOWS DOWN Thumbnails generation TWICE

Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how it works and what it's connected with, but with the Intel Decoding ticked in Premiere Pro options thumbnail generation of the files imported into the project bin lasts twice as long as without Intel decode.

Just facts:

Premiere Pro 24.3.0 (build 59), Intel Core i7 14700K, 71 h264 files on an SSD or an HDD (tried both but for a clearer result will use the HDD), Intel decoding is switched on in Premiere Pro options:

Снимок экрана 2024-04-22 145910.png

In a newly opened project I hit Import, choose all the 71 video files I mentioned above and start the timer which includes both the import time and the thumbnail generation time. The whole time till all the thumbnails have been generated is 43 seconds.

Then.

I turn OFF the Intel Decode, restart Premiere Pro. Delete the Cache files in the Media Cache tab (tried without deleting those too - didn't change the result).

Снимок экрана 2024-04-22 150519.png

Hit Import, choose all the 71 video files and start the timer - the time amounts to 19 seconds.

Then I again turn on the Intel Decode in Premiere's options, restart Premiere Pro. Delete the Cache files in the Media Cache tab, hit Import, choose all the 71 video files and the time till all the 71 thumbnails have been generated amounts to 45 seconds.

Then I again turn OFF the Intel Decode in Premiere's options, restart Premiere Pro, delete the Cache files in the Media Cache tab, hit Import, choose all the 71 video files and the time till all the 71 thumbnails have been generated amounts to 24 seconds.

The most interesting thing is that during all the 4 imports and thumbnail generations my Intel iGPU is flat:

Снимок экрана 2024-04-22 151212.png

So I assume that it is not engaged in generating thumbnails but still somehow influences its speed.

PS: I tried different kinds of footage, both of different length and formats - same result. Files imported from an SSD (7000\6000 r\w speeds) give the same difference in thumbnail generation time but it's just much shorter.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Experiment , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whilst neither  ADOBE nor the community experts react to this problem, my collegues and I have found a strange work around for how to still have the iGPU on and the thumbnails generating fast. You have to insert a dummy into the motherboard hdmi port, the dummy being an hdmi-monitor emulator KS-554, like this one:111.jpg

The result - your monitor is plugged into the graphics card, and the dummy - into the motherborad. The system thinks there are 2 monitors and Premiere Pro magically starts generating thumbnails twice as fast. 

And I am rather surprised no one reacts to this... This is certainly quite a huge sowftware-to-hardware related problem which may stand behind all those "Why my Premiere Pro is so slow on a high-end PC for $4000" posts here in this community...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines